1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks and ducklings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calgal98, Aug 7, 2011.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been a poultry owner for years and years, always chickens. But for the first time I've branched out to ducklings/ducks and I was surprised at how personable the ducklings are. I have a solitary baby and there is NO doubt that it considers me momma. It has been more fun than all of the chicks I've ever raised. I don't know how that will translate to adulthood, but I sure have had an eye opener with this baby. If considering ducks...I would no longer hesitate...they are wonderful!

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, you're so right. I just recently hatched out three ducklings for the first time, and I was really surprised by how much more interactive they were. They actually look at you and kind of smile with their eyes, it's so lovely to see. Chicks just run around peeping and flapping but ducklings actually assess you and watch what you're doing. I think goslings are like this too, but even more so.

I hatched them for a friend so I gave them back when they were a few days old. I'd love ducks but I don't think I could stand the mess in the brooder as they were growing up. The ducklings were vile filthy little beggars and I really got sick of them emptying their waterer all over the floor just so they could stomp around in it. I think to raise ducklings you'd really need an outdoor shed for them. Or a lot more patience with constant cleaning up than I have!

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    ive never done it but at my feed store i go to they do it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by