chicks and ducks

leanne irvine

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
hi. i have both chickens and ducks sitting on eggs, and have just purchased an incubator (after losing all my new born flock last year to rats)… Can i pull the eggs away from the mothers to put in the incubator (and if so, is it ok to pull away say 5 or 6 out of 15 eggs, so to leave her some to continue sitting on)?
welcome any advice please.

thanks for the response. i lost all 6 of my last flock as they hatched, to water rats that came up from my creek. i relied on the mum to take care of them, but she wasn't able to. so this way they may have a fighting chance. i thought it would be worth a try... :)
Is there any way you can predator proof your run?

:welcome

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with rats getting your chicks in the past. I found this article in the Learning Center...maybe there will be something in it that could be of help in preventing the rats from entering the coop?
how-to-get-rid-of-rats-from-chicken-coop.74876

I've never hatched so will leave it to others with experience to answer your question about taking the eggs.

Best of luck to you!

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. Good luck with your hatch.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

If you have a calibrated (separately purchased) thermometer and humidity gauge and know your bators hot and cool spots then sure you can steal some eggs.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

Back
Top Bottom