Chicks and heat

Rystall

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
I am wondering how warm it needs to be for 2.5 week old chicks. They have a heat lamp and they are inside the house. It is very warm today and I am wondering if I can turn off their heat lamp. It is around 75 F in the house and around 85 with the lamp on.

I know that need that when they are first born. But they are older and have mostly feathers now with little down left and they spend all day in the shady part now.

Oh we'll yeah you can know turn the light off as long as the temp of the house is comfortable to them
1f601.png
1f423.png

Hey chicks need to be 95• but they can take that temp for about 15 min
Baby chicks need to have access to a temp that warm. They do not need to be that warm all the time, in fact that will kill them quicker than being a little cool.

You'll be okay turning the lamp off during the warmest part of the day for a few hours. At this age, chicks raised by a broody hen will be out from under her for a few hours at a time, at whatever the temp happens to be outside--even freezing temps! Then they'll go back to momma and warm up for a while, nap, then back out to do little chickie things. They'll still need a lamp at night for while, and it's good to give them access to heat during the day. It's more important, though, to be sure they can get out from under the heat lamp and cool off.

If your chicks have most of their feathers then I would turn the light off in the day time but the big thing is how many do you have as they can always huddle if you have 10 or more ...

Photos could really help get you the best answer but in a few more days they should be able to go outside in a holding cage ....

If your chicks have most of their feathers then I would turn the light off in the day time but the big thing is how many do you have as they can always huddle if you have 10 or more ...

Photos could really help get you the best answer but in a few more days they should be able to go outside in a holding cage ....

These guys went outside last February at 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom