Chicks and Hens do I separate?

Same problem. I have 10 hens and a rooster that are five months old and 20 new pullets at 6 weeks that need to be incorporated into the flock. Iʻve heard a lot of stories of cannibalism, sneaking them in at midnight, cage within a cage and other solutions/problems. Whatʻs the straight dope guys?

I would think that with small flocks of "pet chickens" this problem would be handled all of the time, so fill us newbies in.

Thanks!

Not the same problem.

mjsdhs, Why would you want to separate the hen from the chicks? She`s done all the work so far and is capable of doing a superior job of raising them for the next 8 weeks. Leave them with her.

Layer ration contains an increased amount of calcium that is not good for the chicks, if given as a consistent diet. It`s OK in a pinch, but be sure to obtain chick starter ASAP.

You do not need aded warmth for chicks when they are with a hen, unless you are experiencing extremely cold weather.

birdsofparadise, chicks need a source of warmth until their backs are fully feathered, even in paradise. The main problem with introducing younger birds is space. They will be attacked by the older ones and need room to escape. Also, at 6 weeks, they may not have the speed needed to escape the older birds. I recommend holding off the introduction until they are 8 weeks.

Are these the Shamo chicks we spoke of earlier? I seem to remember something about you free ranging your birds. If so, when they are 8 weeks, they can be moved to the coop, but should be contained and not free ranged for at least 2 days. the reason for this is that it takes 2 days for a chicken to recognize "home" and return there at night after being released.

Sounds like the youngsters are progressing nicely. Ya`ll have fun.........Pop

Quote:
so I am assuming that its ok for mom to have the starter crumbles then its not going to cause issues?

There is a way to make chick starter available to chicks but not to hens. You make a frame that can go over the chick starter feeder with openings big enough for the chicks to get through but small enough so the hen cannot get to the starter. I think slats 2-1/2" apart was the recommendation.

Not that it will hurt the hen to eat starter, but there is a way.

Quote:
Good memory, Lollipop! The shamos are gong to remain in the brooder a few weeks longer. Being hard feathered, they still need more time. But the EEʻs are huge - softball size and fully feathered. They are becoming unmanageable being so tightly packed. Standing still in a 4ʻ x 4ʻ hover, they cover 60% of the floor space. So, its time to move on. Luckily, the rainy season is over and the night temps are above 60 degrees. Its just aggression from the older birds that Iʻm worried about.

I just got a one week old silkie chick. I have two silkies pullets, well one is almost 1 years old. I introduced the chick to them and they just seemed to ignore it. I am not sure they know what to do? I have the chick inside under a light and have been playing the mother role. Can anyone give me advise on how to introduce the chick to the silkies? Or should I wait for the chick to be a lot older. I feel bad that the chick is lonely. Will the silkies hurt the chick?

I used to have a boss who would talk about employees working out their "pecking order". I think he must have raised chickens prior to going into law. From what Iʻve read so far, it may go smoothly, or there may be feathered shed, but they have to do it on their own. My laying flock seems pretty mellow, so Iʻm just going to hope for the best.

Quote:
Yup, the chick needs to be a lot older, as in 8 weeks old. After that age the chick should be able to stand temps without artificial heat. If silkies are like other fowl they will beat the youngster silly and may injure it unless it is old enough to run fast and has room to escape. Many youngsters escape by flying to a roost. Totally out of the question with silkies.......Pop

Back
Top Bottom