Chicks and humidity

snsr33

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2016
We are new to the chicken scene. We have four 2 week old chicks and two 3 week old chicks. They are still in a booder currently kept at 80 degrees. We had been letting them out in the yard with us for short periods of time even during their first week. Now that their coop and run is complete and predator proof we had started to leave them out there during the day. They really love it out there so I'd like to leave them there for longer periods of time...possibly full time within the next week. Yesterday it was in the upper 80s and very very humid. The chicks started out very energetic and happy like usual but after a couple of hours I became concerned by their behavior. They were just laying around kind of on their sides and seemed uncomfortable. They had food and water. I brought them back inside to the brooder. They all got together and went right to sleep. They were fine later on and seem great this morning. Are chicks unable to handle humidity? They are used to being in a warm brooder so I don't think it was a temperature thing. I read somewhere that chicks can't adequately regulate their temperature when it gets too hot. Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm in Georgia and I put my chicks out two weeks ago (they're 4 weeks old now). We've had a horrible summer with high temperatures, high humidity, and little rain. Mine have been doing great outside and they really appreciate the extra space.

I think what you might be seeing is sometimes they're run around like crazy and then they just crash. Mine wake up about 6 am and by 9 am they're all sprawled out taking a nap. They do the same thing in the early afternoon.

As long as you're not seeing them panting or holding their wings out from their body I'd say they're ok. As long as you've got good ventilation you should be ok with them.

I've had 3.5 week old chicks outdoors, without heat when the temps were between 35 (night) and 55 (day) degrees. They were just fine. Your chicks will be fine, too. They do need shade and plenty of cold water though, to help them cope with the heat. Sounds like they were just relaxing. It's completely normal. Here are a few 6 week olds enjoying the sun.

Thanks for the reply! They were not panting and their wings were not out so I'm guessing that they were just tired. They really do love it out there and were running all around so maybe they just needed some rest.

Back
Top Bottom