Chicks and Keets with Swollen Eye

jeflin

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
I recently (3/18) bought 6 guinea keets from a local breeder who is NPIP. I also bought 3 Cochin chicks from her. I noticed when we got them home one of the guinea keets had a swollen eye. I thought maybe it had gotten pecked or scratched in the box on the way home. He seemed fine otherwise. The next morning, that keet was dead under the brooder plate. All others seemed fine. I contacted the breeder who said she’d replace for no charge. A couple days later we picked up 3 more keets. When we went to pick up she had an older Cochin chick in the brooder who had a swollen eye and was noticeably sick. That day when we got home with the 3 New Guinea keets, another keet was dead in the brooder. The rest have been fine since. Now today, one of the Cochins has a swollen eye. He’s eating and drinking and so far seems fine. So now I’m freaking out and I’m kicking myself for thinking I brought home something that could affect my other birds. I’ve got them in the same brooder as 8 Buff Orpingtons and 8 bantams (purchased from TSC). I’m hatching new birds out today and tomorrow. What should I do? There’s no smell so hopefully not coryza. What else could it be? I don’t have access to a bird vet around my area. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 9EBBCC08-0668-4A9E-96C2-FE941E76F3AB.jpeg
    9EBBCC08-0668-4A9E-96C2-FE941E76F3AB.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1E16DC33-4E02-4B3E-9260-AEEBEC5C2CD9.jpeg
    1E16DC33-4E02-4B3E-9260-AEEBEC5C2CD9.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm not sure wut that could be yet but its definitely contagious you should isolate the sick ones from the healthy ones asap and get them on electrolyte water and make sure their eating. Maybe this could be pink eye? Wut do their poops look like?

I’ve given them Nutridrench. Poops look fine. I’ve seen a couple that were a bit yellow/foamy but I’ve seen Nutridrench do that before to healthy chicks. Another Cochin chick died last night. That chick was not exhibiting any URI symptoms but I noticed her staying under the brooder plate and just acting off. She was one of the Cochins from the same breeder. I’m saving her for a necropsy, but not sure if the body is still usable as it was already starting to smell when I found it. I’ll be calling the extension office first thing Monday. I notified the breeder, who is helpful and offering a refund. She’s saying all of her birds are fine. I can’t prove it came from her, even though I suspect it did. It could be some freak thing we tracked in from outside. But, it showed up 7-8 days after we bought chicks from her, which seems suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom