Chicks and Roosting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moselle, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    My 7 chicks are almost 5 weeks old now. We put a little perch up for them in their brooder a couple weeks ago. Last night (being up with a fussy 1yodd several times) I noticed that some of the chicks were actually sleeping up there. My delaware was up there all night, and 1 or 2 others were with her occassionally. It looked like 3 could fit OK, but not more that that unless they really squeezed together.

So, I'm wondering - if they are starting to sleep up there, should we put in more perches so they can all sleep there if they want? I thought the perch would just be for fun and practice, but lo and behold, they are starting to act like chickens. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Get them used to perches now. They are less likely to sleep in nest boxes and turn them into a toilet at night.

3. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    My babies are just over a week. I have two 2x2 for them to roost on and most will roost on them. It's funny because they will almost fall off it when they go to sleep. I went to the feed store today and got 5 day olds and they are using it too.

So, yes, get your chicks another roost. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by