Chicks and sand

Some chicks don’t know the difference between sand and food. You could try putting a towel over the sand for a couple days or more. That might teach them that their food is what they should mostly be eating.
I’d say don’t worry about it unless they are eating the same amount of sand as they are food, or more. Some sand/grit is good for them.

Was wondering if i would have to get mineral oil ready. Thank you for your response. They are very active already and run around trying to fly and scratch at everything! Blue/black/splash Americaunas

Some chicks don’t know the difference between sand and food. You could try putting a towel over the sand for a couple days or more. That might teach them that their food is what they should mostly be eating.
I’d say don’t worry about it unless they are eating the same amount of sand as they are food, or more. Some sand/grit is good for them.
Im guessing that most free range chicks with their moms do the same?

Im guessing that most free range chicks with their moms do the same?
I believe most mother hens will teach their chicks not to eat too much sand and show them what to eat and what not to eat. Chicks usually peck at things to explore, if they are “gobbling” up the sand then the mother would probably stop them.
I used to have the same problem with my chicks eating wood shavings so I covered them with a towel for a few days and it worked. They still pecked at them but not constantly.

Back
Top Bottom