Chicks are getting glued in...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedneckRedhead, Dec 26, 2014.

1. RedneckRedhead

RedneckRedhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I have gotten glued in chicks the last two hatches. The first several hatch out just fine. The last few seem to get stuck in their egg. Almost like they took to long to get out their egg dried out. My temp set at 99.5, I have a forced air with egg turner. My humidity it spot on at 25% the first 18 days, and the 65% until everyone hatches. I cannot figure out what is going wrong.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Do you open the incubator at any stage during the hatch? That can be enough to lower humidity and make the chicks dry out. Otherwise maybe try raising the humidity at hatch by another 5% and see how that goes? I think it's worth experimenting to find out what works best for you, I "dry hatch" now as the humidity here sits around 60% at this time of the year, and that works for me. :)

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2. I dry hatch now as well, but I push my humidity to at least 70, more comfortable with 75 at hatch time. This allows me to feel confident that if I need to open during hatch I have a little leway with humidity.

5. RedneckRedhead

RedneckRedhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Did not open the incubator this hatch. I use the dry hatch method until day 18. I am going to try bumping my humidity up to 70/75 next hatch. Thank you for the impute :)

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Everything seems spot on, though 65% at hatch is a bit low I don't see any big problem with it. I always have a few late hatchers that are slow pipping & zipping and seem to get stuck. I chalk it up to them being the weak underdeveloped chicks.
    If it's safe and conveinent to open the bator I will "help" rhem because I hate to lose a chick, but I won't jeopardize the rest of the hatch to try to save a weakly chick that usually dies anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by