Chicks are hatching, how to get stuck shell off of one

andalusn

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Ridgefield, WA
Chicks have been hatching since yesterday morning. Now today there is one peep that the a bit of shell and other stuff seems to be stuck/dried on. How can this be removed? wait till dry and get it wet again? The chicks seems so delicate at the moment. Not wet, must have hatched this afternoon while I was at work.

40707_stuck1a.jpg

Yep, wait till everything is done, and then wet the stuck part and carefully pry it off. No need to risk opening the bator early.

You should be able to take a clean sponge and dampen it with warm water to get the stuck pieces off. Try dribbling the warm water on the stuck pieces first, being careful not to drown chick or get on chick's nostrils. This will help moisten the dry pieces. Then, gently swab the stuck pieces to help work them off of the chick. Just takes a little patience. This is how I saved two chicks that were completely stuck in their pipped shells a year ago. Those two hens are still with me.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new chicks!

thanks for the advice, I have never hatched eggs before and have just sort of watched and let them be. Four hatched by this morning with the latter 3 sometime today.. when should they be moved to the brooder? One is very well developed, it was the first to hatch yesterday at about 11 am. Very fiesty and energetic. I keep seeing it sitting on other chicks the crazy thing.

Back
Top Bottom