Hatching a chick with beak stuck outside of egg

Stacy35

Chirping
Apr 5, 2021
Hello, unfortunately my chick didn’t make it with the problem, but I want to learn for the future hatchlings. So It pipped yesterday morning and over 24 hours later not much progress. It’s beak & then almost whole head though was exposed. So just curious since they use their beak to unzip if that is why it couldn’t unzip by itself? After a long time & realizing that it seemed to be stuck in that position I eventually assisted and the yolk wasn’t fully absorbed. Which is odd since it pipped and seemed very strong. I wouldn’t have done that, but again it seemed stuck in that position for over a day. Just trying to learn so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Hello, unfortunately my chick didn’t make it with the problem, but I want to learn for the future hatchlings. So It pipped yesterday morning and over 24 hours later not much progress. It’s beak & then almost whole head though was exposed. So just curious since they use their beak to unzip if that is why it couldn’t unzip by itself? After a long time & realizing that it seemed to be stuck in that position I eventually assisted and the yolk wasn’t fully absorbed. Which is odd since it pipped and seemed very strong. I wouldn’t have done that, but again it seemed stuck in that position for over a day. Just trying to learn so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
We're told to allow a chick 24 hours to hatch once pipped. You did what most of us would have done if after 24 hours, it's still not out of the egg as we'd assume too that something's wrong.

I'm sorry it didn't make it. I'd take comfort in knowing that there likely was something wrong with that chick as it didn't have the strength to get out on its own and apparently was slow to absorb its yolk. Generally, they still would have some left while they are pipping/zipping but after an entire day, it just seems like something was wrong with it.

So sorry!

We're told to allow a chick 24 hours to hatch once pipped. You did what most of us would have done if after 24 hours, it's still not out of the egg as we'd assume too that something's wrong.

I'm sorry it didn't make it. I'd take comfort in knowing that there likely was something wrong with that chick as it didn't have the strength to get out on its own and apparently was slow to absorb its yolk. Generally, they still would have some left while they are pipping/zipping but after an entire day, it just seems like something was wrong with it.

So sorry!
Thank you for the reply. Ugh so hard not to second guess myself, but that makes sense. It’s so hard too when sitting under a hen like that made me nervous with its little face sticking out for so long!

Back
Top Bottom