Chicks are hatching TOO DRY... what can i do??

AliciaC

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
IA
I've posted this in the Emergency section as well.. Aghhhh!!!! My first hatch and my poor little chicken eggs are hatching but they appear to be too dry! I woke up on day 18 to 108 degree incubator. I dont know how long it was that high, an hour to 6 hours maybe. The humidity of course was out of whack from this as well. Got that under control and back to 99.5 but that evening 105 degrees and that could have been up to 4 hours. Normal temp and good humidity since then, they are hatching now but appear to be very dry. One has just made about a 2 cm hole since last night, is that a normal rate of hatch? I'm a basket case.. please please please advise!!! btw they were due yesterday.
Is there anything I can do? The membrane looks very dry and I think is sticking to the chick!

If it is you've got to get some water on the membrane right now. Take the bator into the bathroom, turn on the hot water in the shower and steam up the room. Open the bator and take out the eggs that look too dry and carefully dab water on the exposed membrane. Keep doing that till they're all thoroughly moistened. Just dip your finger in warm water and stroke the membrane gently.

Great, conflicting responses. That oughta confuse the OP. LOL

I think if the membrane looks dry already thanks to the extreme heat, a direct application of moisture may be needed. Since there were extreme temps involved.

Wow stress! I dipped each egg, placed warm wet paper towel in the incubator, gently dabbed warm water on each dry membrane and have the worst one sitting on a warm wet wash cloth. Dabbing the warm water on the membrane seemed to help and the poor chick does look better, moving around better now. I'll keep wtching. Thank you very much!! Omgsh I've become absolutely obsessed with these eggs! Thank you again.

I know just how you feel; mine hatched on Monday and it was an all day ordeal. One of my babies had a yolk sac that wasn't just unabsorbed, it was dangling from the umbilicus looking nasty as could be. I had to grab her out of the bator really fast before she herniated herself dragging it around, and the next three chicks started getting that dry membrane. I had to treat them all or I would have lost them.

I've got chicks!!!Wow of wow! I had to help a few out but they are all beautiful, fluffy, healthy. Omgsh I love it! 8 out of 24, I was sure I lost them all.

Back
Top Bottom