*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Hi,

I had one late hatch "hold-out" where yesterday (day 23) I still saw an air bubble and could see the chick moving inside. No pip, and no peeping but plenty of moving.

Tonight, I checked and there is no movement that I can see, no air bubble, no pip, and no peeping.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kristen
I had this happen. I chip a little hole in the egg. If I can see it moving I will leave it alone for a while. If it does not progress I will continue to chip away the shell slowly. I have had a couple chicks that needed a little assistance. But be prepared the ones that need help sometimes have issues. One of mine has breathing issues and is small. She needed extra attention in the beginning but now is 11 weeks and hanging with the crew.

Thank you for the great photos and info!!!!! I was searching for how to tell if an egg is fertile......seriously I cannot see anything by candling to check for fertility...........but I can see progress on day 6 first candling in a homemade bator. The new bator arrives today and wow can't wait. Our temps have too great a change from day/night to keep the homemade one level even with a reastat on it.

Hi everyone, this is basically the first time I have ever posted on this thread. I have recently started to candle my silkies eggs again when I noticed at least one of my silkies staying on the nest and that was about 2 weeks ago. I now have to silkys laying on two separate ness so I've decided to split the eggs between the two chickens. There are about eight or nine eggs that are positively fertile, I can view by candling the veins and the embryo. A couple days ago, I was candling those same eggs and I saw movement, wanted to get it on video but accidentally dropped the egg. Remorsefully, I inspected the opened egg and saw, a heart beating, large eyes movement of limbs and intricate vein system. Although I was very upset that the egg dropped and broke, one of my most viable eggs, I was very interested in seeing what was inside. I do have a couple pictures of eggs I can. Last week I will post the picture. Although I do have a problem with the nesting due to about 7 chickens using two nests and those nest are occupied by my two brooders. So what I have is chickens laying eggs in the same nest as my brooders.
Here are the pics,

These eggs were candled last week and embryos are about a week old.
Hopefully the images are visible.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is basically the first time I have ever posted on this thread. I have recently started to candle my silkies eggs again when I noticed at least one of my silkies staying on the nest and that was about 2 weeks ago. I now have to silkys laying on two separate ness so I've decided to split the eggs between the two chickens. There are about eight or nine eggs that are positively fertile, I can view by candling the veins and the embryo. A couple days ago, I was candling those same eggs and I saw movement, wanted to get it on video but accidentally dropped the egg. Remorsefully, I inspected the opened egg and saw, a heart beating, large eyes movement of limbs and intricate vein system. Although I was very upset that the egg dropped and broke, one of my most viable eggs, I was very interested in seeing what was inside. I do have a couple pictures of eggs I can. Last week I will post the picture. Although I do have a problem with the nesting due to about 7 chickens using two nests and those nest are occupied by my two brooders. So what I have is chickens laying eggs in the same nest as my brooders.
Here are the pics,

These eggs were candled last week and embryos are about a week old.
Hopefully the images are visible.
If it's possible, I'd add another box or two for the other hens to lay and encourage with a golf ball in there. Also, I know how stubborn laying hens can be and they may still lay in your broody hens' box. I would mark your hatching eggs with a marker, and remove the other eggs daily. Good luck!!

It's impossible for me to separate the brooders but they are doing well. Eggs are progressing, had one death but the others are doing well.

Just wanted to share some pic.

This egg was laid on Sept 10, 2015, and inhanced to see all the veins and the embryo in the center.

Egg laid 9/9.

Egg laid either Sept 5,6 probably the 5th being how dark it is. I did see movement.

Excellent & very helpful pics, just what I needed, my first hatch and temps were low first few days and I couldnt find any good youtube candle videos to help me decide if I should go into lockdown tonight or tomorrow!

Went out to collect eggs this morning, I have been expecting a few eggs to hatch in the next day or so. My son and I went out to get the eggs and duped down to grab eggs and eat the chickens and we heard a chirping sound and this is what we saw......

Yey..... There, I've got babies. My first attempt in this and it's a success. Now I need to know if I should allow the chicken to stay with the other chicken or bring them inside and raise them inside?

Back
Top Bottom