*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Hey sorry for the intrusion into a conversation but I have no idea how post ... tries many times. I have a hen who just laid an egg. She left it and has been running around for the whole day. My maid keeps telling me in the Philippines they do that, they don't need a hatcher and after she has laid a whole bunch of eggs over a period of days she sits on them and they hatch just like that. I can't believe this lonely COLD egg will hatch. The maid tells me she has had many chickens, however I asked what the percent hatching rate was and what happened to the first ones and it all got a bit vague. Also I have no idea if it is really hot there. I live in Malaysia where it goes down to 88 at night and 95 in the day, but this egg is COLD. when it rains it is cold. I got stroppy and put the slag hen in the coop with her egg in the basket but I can't make her sit on her egg. Help anyone please.

I tried to candle my eggs on day 4. Couldn't see a thing. I put a quarter-sized hole in a shoe box, then cut a hole in the side and slip my lamp lightbulb in the box through another hole and put the box down over it. The light was very bright and I set the egg over the little hole, but couldn't see a thing. Was very disappointed, so now I have to wait until I smell something bad coming from the bator before I know anything? How will I know which egg is the offender? Should I pick each one up and whiff? My eggs went in the incubator at 7:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. The humidity is between 38 & 40 % and the temp is at a steady 100 degrees. Depending on room temp, the temp in the incubator fluctuates from 99 to 100.5. However, when I first put the eggs in the incubator, the temp fluctuated from 98 to 102, though not for extended periods of time. Possible 1/2 hour to 1 hour, the incubator could have been at 98 or 102 degrees. Has this killed my babies - do I need to give up? Thanks for any info.

Quote:
Not all birds will sit on their eggs to hatch them. They must be broody and want to be a mom. Otherwise, take the egg and enjoy the meal. She will chose when to set on eggs, but will usually collect a dozen or so first.

Quote:
You probably need a stronger directional light that puts all the power one way.

As for knowing for bad egg, smell will let you know, but 99% of the time, if the shells are not cracked, they are sterile inside and will not stink even if no life is in the egg. You will smell a bad egg.

A one degree flus is no problem, 102 won't kill them, 103 average will. Don't worry about it. Give them 23 days before cracking open eggs.

Thank you, Silkiechicken.
big_smile.png

Our classroom chicks are hatching on Thursday. What you have posted here is so concise and perfect. Today, in anticipation of our upcoming hatch - we will show the students the development your most excellent pictures and videos. Thank you so much for posting these!

Quote:
Just wondering about the foil wrapping on the bulbs...is that to control heat intensity...for heat dispersal...????

Last edited:
I had asked this in it's own thread, but since this one is devoted to Candeling, I think it's more appropriate...

I started a batch of four chicken eggs on the fourth and I can still see clearly through them when candled, so I'm pretty sure they're duds.
sad.png

I also have a Arucauna Egg that she laid for me late last night (My first Arucauna egg ever!
ya.gif
) When I candled it this afternoon, I can see a dark shape attached to the yolk, is this a Viable egg? If it is then....
wee.gif

I can't however, candle my Quail Eggs, I see nothing through the shells. Any tricks?

I think my Arucauna egg is fertile. The spot I saw yesterday is now bigger and more defined!
celebrate.gif
So far, that's the only egg in my 'Bator that shows any sign of life....

Back
Top Bottom