Chicks are passing left and right, urgent, help!

Apr 15, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silver Laced Polish Chicks

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
The chicks will get lethargic, then yhey have a distinct chirp (i have noticed) once I hear that, i know they are about to pass.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Approximately 3-4 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

I hatched roughly 100 eggs, the only ones that are experiencing this are the Silver Laced Polish

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No signs of trauma.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

I don't know. I recently purchased these polish from a lady. There were 3 hens, 1 rooster, 2 big teenagers, 3 little teenagers.
Shortly after getting them one of the little teenagers wings drooped, I seperated it, tended to her/he then they passed. The rest of the ones I purchased have been fine.
The ones I hatched (along with other breeds) are having problems.
My other breeds are not affected.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

They are drinking water and feed. I tried electrolytes but it seemed to make it worse so I stopped that.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop looked fine untill electrolytes so I stopped the electrolytes.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
electrolytes and I have also tried selenium, along with sugar water and some honey.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I am hoping to save them but I am not having a good feeling.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in
use
Their bedding is pine shavings, clean water multiple times a day, fresh food. The NEW Polish I have acquired are the only chicks I am having issues with.

Notes:
I contacted the person I purchased them from and they said they've never experienced this problem. I have raised and hatched numerous polish and I have never had this issue.

The chicks will get lethargic, then yhey have a distinct chirp (i have noticed) once I hear that, i know they are about to pass.

I don't know. I recently purchased these polish from a lady. There were 3 hens, 1 rooster, 2 big teenagers, 3 little teenagers.
Shortly after getting them one of the little teenagers wings drooped, I seperated it, tended to her/he then they passed. The rest of the ones I purchased have been fine.
The ones I hatched (along with other breeds) are having problems.

electrolytes and I have also tried selenium, along with sugar water and some honey.
How are they doing?

I'm unclear on the ages of the chicks (?) that are affected?

Have you tried treating for Coccidiosis? If not, then I would treat with Corid to see if that helps.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

You mention they get worse with Electrolytes, that's interesting. What is the ingredient list on those?

I would not give just extra Selenium, too much extra can be toxic in time. Usually, the feed has sufficient Selenium for the daily intake.

What are you feeding, including anything extra - are any other birds/chicks eating the same feed without ill effects? If only the group that is having issues eats what you are giving - investigate the feed for anything off - a bad odor, mold, clumpy material, etc.

You also mention a distinct chirp? I would say that's a symptom, but can't say of what. Do you happen to have a video of the sound? While we may not be able to give an answer, it may be something helpful to us and you in the future, especially if you are able to figure out what/why they are declining and the distinct noise is a symptom.

I also saw you ask on another thread about necropsy/testing. If you are in Texas, call your state lab and they will give you specifics on how to send a body in for analysis (linked below). If you do have testing, please let us know what you find out.
I'm sorry that you're having a hard time, it must be very stressful. :hugs

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/

How are they doing?

Have you tried treating for Coccidiosis? If not, then I would treat with Corid to see if that helps.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

You mention they get worse with Electrolytes, that's interesting. What is the ingredient list on those?

I would not give just extra Selenium, too much extra can be toxic in time. Usually, the feed has sufficient Selenium for the daily intake.

What are you feeding, including anything extra - are any other birds/chicks eating the same feed without ill effects? If only the group that is having issues eats what you are giving - investigate the feed for anything off - a bad odor, mold, clumpy material, etc.

You also mention a distinct chirp? I would say that's a symptom, but can't say of what. Do you happen to have a video of the sound? While we may not be able to give an answer, it may be something helpful to us and you in the future, especially if you are able to figure out what/why they are declining and the distinct noise is a symptom.

I also saw you ask on another thread about necropsy/testing. If you are in Texas, call your state lab and they will give you specifics on how to send a body in for analysis (linked below). If you do have testing, please let us know what you find out.

I just checked on them and another one has passed (only that breed).

They are roughly 11-13 days old.
The hatch began on March 15.

I thought about coccidiosis but I did not treat for that. I was under the impression after doing some research that it is highly contagious and that the other chicks (different breeds) would more than likely have it too.
Do you think I should still treat them for it?
Can coccidiosis be passed through genetically?
I'm curious because it is just this breed that is sick.

I can pick up some Corid today. Thank you for that suggestion!

I'm attaching a picture of the vitamin/electrolytes so you can see the ingredient list.

They are eating regular chicken starter feed: 18% protein, 2.5% fat, and 7% fiber.
All the chicks are eating the same food,
I have them separated (not by breed) into different tubs and it's just this breed in all the tubs that will pass.
The feed is not medicated because I also have silkies.
The food smells and appears to be fineI
How are they doing?

I would say about the same.
I awoke to another one that passed this morning.

Their hatch date is from March 15-18th.
Almost two weeks old now.

I thought about coccidiosis but I did not treat for that because just the one breed was passing. I "assumed" it had to be something genetically.

To be on the safe side I started powdered corid this afternoon.

I attached a picture of the vitamin/electrolytes for the ingredient list.

They are all eating standard chick feed (un-medicated because I also have silkies in this hatch).
I hadn't given them anything else. The food smells and appears to be fine.

I don't have a video of the chirp. But I will take one if and when it happens again.
I can try my best to describe it...

I know it probably sounds weird that I mention a distinct chirp but I have some excellent hearing aids 😉😆 and I am in my back room where they are setup pretty frequently because I'm doing my classwork.
When I hear that particular chirp it reminds me of a baby that's in pain or in distress.
Not a playful or hungry chirp. When I hear it I immediately go over and look.
It honestly sounds like they are crying/chirping out in pain.
That's the best I can do for describing it.

Thank you for that link, I will definitely check that out!

I'm sorry you lost another one, hopefully you can send the body for analysis.

So it's only the Polish, but they are in separate brooders with other breeds of chicks?

Have you noticed if the other breeds are picking or pecking at the Polish?

Consider putting all the Polish in one brooder to see if you lose any more.
You mention that the chirp is a painful crying, so I wonder if they are getting a peck to the head.
A peck to the head on a Crested bird can cause neurological symptoms and perhaps death if placed correctly. The vaulted skull on most Polish (and Silkies) is fragile, they have a hole in the skull and are much more susceptible to brain injury if pecked.

I'm sorry you lost another one, hopefully you can send the body for analysis.

So it's only the Polish, but they are in separate brooders with other breeds of chicks?

Have you noticed if the other breeds are picking or pecking at the Polish?

Consider putting all the Polish in one brooder to see if you lose any more.
You mention that the chirp is a painful crying, so I wonder if they are getting a peck to the head.
A peck to the head on a Crested bird can cause neurological symptoms and perhaps death if placed correctly. The vaulted skull on most Polish (and Silkies) is fragile, they have a hole in the skull and are much more susceptible to brain injury if pecked.
Sorry for my delayed update.
Yes, it began with just that one color of Polish (not my other ones).
I was thinking it was something genetic but a few of my ither chicks have passed since then.

I haven't seen them picking on them. They all get along like chicks.
It's just so strange I've never dealt with this before.
Where the other breeds have started to pass I'm assuming it was the coccidiosis...

What are your thoughts?

Without having testing/necropsy, there's no way to know really what was causing the losses.

It sounds like things have settled down for you, but if you begin to lose more, it's a good idea to send a body to your Texas lab.

Without having testing/necropsy, there's no way to know really what was causing the losses.

It sounds like things have settled down for you, but if you begin to lose more, it's a good idea to send a body to your Texas lab.
It is better than it was, that's for sure.
Still having a few losses but it is not daily now.
Yes, I'm checking into that.
Thank you!

Do you have photos?

Did you treat with the Corid?

Sorry that you are still losing a some here and there.
I do not have photos, sorry.

I did treat Corid, but after doing some research, I learned that I gave the wrong amount.
I believe that is why I started losing so many chicks after treating them.

This website gives a different amount that you should treat poultry with.

https://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/amprolium

So, this should have been the amount given:
For teaspoons (tsp):
  • 1 teaspoon (tsp) is approximately equal to 5 milliliters (mL).
  • 1 milliliter (mL) is approximately equal to 0.202884 teaspoons (tsp).

I hatched more on April 8th I will be monitoring them to see if the same thing happens.

Back
Top Bottom