Chicks arrived, have a Question????

jppayne34

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
i got my order from Ideal on the 3rd with all 23 + 1 ? doing good as of now, from what i can tell. i have noticed that the poo is watery coming from a few chicks is this ok or do i need to be doing something about it. they all seem to be eating, drinking and playing good even the runt which i think is the ? chick. i gave them the green gel food when they first got here and i have mixed a little sugar in their water but that is all i have done. thanks for any help i am going to try and get some pitchers up tomorrow for everyone to see them.

No need to get too nervous about brown, watery, runny poop.....it happens....I had the same concern when I first got our girls, and found out it's totally normal as long as it isn't every time....
I wouldn't be too concerned

i have been checking the butts and i found a couple that seem like they might be getting a little buildup but not blocked i tried earlier today to clean one with warm water and it just didnt want to come off at all and i was afraid i might hurt it if i kept at it so i have just been keeping a close eye on it and the others what else should i do on that

welcome-byc.gif

You must clean the pasty butt. They can quickly get completely plugged up and die. I use a technique a little different than most people here on BYC mention. I fold a paper towel in quarters and then get it wet with warm water. I hold the paper towel up to the poo and gently squeeze the poo in the wet paper towel. I gently roll it around between two fingers (touching it with the paper towel, not my fingers). Within a minute or two to loosens up and can be easily wiped off. If I have multiple chicks with pasty butt then I use a fresh paper towel for each one. I usually have a roll of paper towels sitting next to the brooder and only use it for the chicks. This way I am not touching clean kitchen paper towels with hands that have been handling chicks. I get the paper towels wet in a utility room sink, not the kitchen sink. Luckily the utility room is next to the garage and the brooder is in the garage.

well here are the pictures i hope the first single chick is holland the next is a buff brahma it was the darkest one out of the bunch and the biggest then it is the bantam partridge silkie (wife wanted a white one but i didnt want to make it the bulls eye out of the bunch so just randomly picked one) and the last one is the mystery chick i think. it has lighter color around the face than the hollands and is the size of the bantam silkie

57820_img_3787.jpg

57820_img_3794.jpg

57820_img_3793.jpg

57820_img_3791.jpg

57820_img_3790.jpg

Back
Top Bottom