Chicks arrived today

imonyourcouch

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
I ordered 26 chicks from meyer and they arrived today. They are in two totes in the garage with plenty of food and water. All arrived alive, but two looked rough. One of those two died, but the other one looks good. I can't tell what kind it was. Now I have to finish turning the shed I bought for 150+75 delivery into a coop.

loaded, and strapping it down.

Delivered.

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new chicks and coop! Sorry about the chick you lost, glad the rest are doing well. Good luck getting the coop set up!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Getting new chicks is always so exciting. Maybe you can post some pics for us. Also of the coop when you finish it. Just be sure and predator proof it, using hardware cloth, not chicken wire. What kind of chicks did you get/

Thanks, we haven't had chickens in at least 5 years. I got tired of buying eggs, and throwing away the leftovers and stuff that used to go to the chickens, so I ordered some more. I expected some loss, i'm just glad that the other one looks good. When I was checking the temp, the chicks were trying to attack the laser on the remote thermometer. That was fun to watch.

2 welsummers female ( thats all they had)
1 easter egger rooster
4 easter egger female
3 buckeye female
15+1 rainbow pack.

2 welsummers female ( thats all they had)
1 easter egger rooster
4 easter egger female
3 buckeye female
15+1 rainbow pack.

That will make for a nice mixed flock. I like the chocolate eggs of the Welsummers and my granddaughter's favorite chickens are the EEs. She loves their colored eggs (especially the pink ones). Good luck with your flock.

Just be sure and predator proof it, using hardware cloth, not chicken wire.

We lost 12 of 15 years ago to a skunk. We got home late and hadn't gotten the coop door closed on time. found a bunch of bodies all over. We herded the ones we could find into the coop and picked up the bodies. Over night the skunk dug into the hen house and killed the rest, except two that escaped the hen house. The skunk got trapped inside the hen house. I did not feel bad about shooting the skunk. They were all dead, but intact. I can stomach losing a chicken to something that eats it, but that made me angry. These were also 3-4 month old chicks that we raised ourselves, from a rooster that had been taken by a hawk just before I got home one day. I drove up and the hawk flew away. That was a rough year for chicken production.

This coop has a solid floor that I am sealing and reinforcing. Nothing will be getting into this one.

Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif
Congratulations on your new chicks, how eggciting!

Back
Top Bottom