Chicks arriving in 2 weeks! (Update: Finally here!)

I'm trying to decide what to do with the roos too. I have 1 roo that's really tame, would sit on my arm and all, but I heard the ones that are tame tend to attack people later on. SO, I guess I'm gonna wait till they grow up. =/ If any of them attack us, they're GONE. =D

Chicks just hit 4 weeks old, 2 weeks for the newbies. It is amazing how fast they grow! The Cornish meat chickens must be almost unbelievable, the rate they grow. I noticed that the big girls' voices are starting to get a bit lower and more squawky and combs and wattles are popping out all over.

Only a few more weeks until the teenagers get the boot, out to the coop! How people can keep chickens as house posts, I just don't understand. To each their own, but I'm counting the days until they go.

Does anyone on this thread have grown hens from Cackle? I've got a few questions. I'll also start a new thread.

The babes are 5 weeks old already! I gave a few their first outing this afternoon, it was mind blowing to them. Lol some of the big girls came over to see the new members of the flock, all went smooth. My oldest hen was prepared to put one in their place then and there but I redirected her. She is the flock queen hands down!

I'm already getting nervous of the day I start introducing them to the coop. Talking with our neighbor today and we both are having Coyote problems (they caught 3 on a game cam). They have lost 15 chickens! Thankfully I have only had 2 bad injuries and no deaths. My husband came out to put his shoes on a few days ago and he heard a hen in trouble and around the corner came the hen and hot on her tail was a Coyote almost under our carport and feet from my husband! If he wasn't there she would have been a Coyote snack for sure!

th.gif
I would have freaked out with a run in with a coyote like that. I am glad you have not lost any but dang.
You will have to watch the littles for a while (long while) to make sure they know when to run for cover. Poor dears.

I would be locking mine up in the most secure run because of that.

th.gif
I would have freaked out with a run in with a coyote like that. I am glad you have not lost any but dang.
You will have to watch the littles for a while (long while) to make sure they know when to run for cover. Poor dears.

I would be locking mine up in the most secure run because of that.

He called me at work right after it happened, he couldn't believe his eyes! One more detail he told me that was very unnerving was right after the Coyote saw my husband he stopped and calmly looked back at my freaked out hen contemplating grabbing her anyway but decided to run after my hubby hollered. YIKES! Our neighbor had a Coyote take a chicken RIGHT in front of her while she working outside. I do lock my girls up at night and they are only free ranging now while I'm home AND my dog is outside.
My run is 6ft chain link. Nothing that a Coyote can't clear (yes I've heard of them clearing a 6ft fence easy) but fortunately for me
hide.gif
2 of my neighbors have 100% free range (AKA Fast Food) chickens. My girls also have/will have clipped wings to make sure they stay in the run. They are not too happy with me lately, I wish they understood why they are locked up.

WOW! Has it been almost 3 weeks since I posted last?? How has everyone been doing? My chicks will be 8 weeks this weekend, I can't believe it! I did a head count and realized I kept 18 chicks instead of 17 like I thought its 8 more than I planned and my brooder is getting quite cozy! Everyone is getting along quite well and I have begun introducing them to my 8 big girls. So far so good. They have been free ranging almost every day now and the big girls come over to steal their food, give a few pecks then they are off doing their own thing.

Here are a few pics:

One of my Barred Rocks found the bag of mealworms and decided it was a perfect napping spot. And the next picture just shows that she was completely on it. Hilarious!
\

Here they are out enjoying the sunshine today. (Yes, I did put plastic down to keep the poop off the cement)

This is the big bearded chick I posted when I first got them. So grown up now !

I'm glad you posted, I was curious too! Your chick napping on the mealworms is pretty funny!

I kicked mine out of the house/brooder early, everyone (old chicks + new recruits) went out into the coop a few nights ago. I think the

Back
Top Bottom