Chicks arriving in 2 weeks! (Update: Finally here!)

Hooray! Glad they are ok. I asked for my 6the chick to be a "surprise" between a white Rock, buff Orpington, autralorp or barred rock. White rocks seem nice. Good luck!

All mine were alive as well!!!
yesss.gif
I do have one Red Leghorn that took a beating but I put 2 drops of electrolytes in her mouth and she has her head up now, eyes are still closed though. I also have another Red Leghorn that needed a corrective "shoe" because her toes were curled. She seems to be walking on it ok now. LET THE FUN BEGIN!

Everyone else is running around crazy messing up their water and eating their poop and their flock mates feet!
barnie.gif

I have to go to work now... Its going to be torture! I could watch them all day.

Hooray! Glad they are ok. I asked for my 6the chick to be a "surprise" between a white Rock, buff Orpington, autralorp or barred rock. White rocks seem nice. Good luck!

Even though I opted out of the "free rare chick" I have a random large yellow chick. I guess only time will tell who he/she is!

Surprises are fun :)

Last edited:
They will be fine with the heat pack! I bought 6 at the end of October...they shipped in low 20's degree weather...took 2 days to get to me...and it was 23F the morning I got them. They were toasty warm...and in a single box and just fine!

I get to stay home and watch them ALL DAY! haha

And, we found a new born puppy (and 5 dead ones) with a stray dog. WELP they are both in the bathroom now nice and happy (hopefully)

It was heartbreaking to see the mommy saying bye to the dead ones. ='(

Oh you guys... I have been checking the weather along my babies route and it is SO cold! I'm getting worried. And the brooder box seems a little bit better with the blanket on top. Not awesome, but better. I'm putting up another light tomorrow (after the football game of course!) and I'm REALLY hoping that does the trick. I think the fact that the barn is not insulated is really making it hard to keep heat in the brooder.

You say it is a goat barn they are in. Could you put hay bales around the brooder for insulation? I don't brood my chicks inside the house unless it is below 20 degrees for an extended period of time. I have mine in a 4 X 4 box with two "windows" cut in of 4"x8" on either side. My heat lamp is permanently mounted through top of the box and on a dimmer switch so I can adjust heat output as needed. I use equine fresh or some other pine pelleted horse stall material for bedding as this works to keep smell down much better than shavings, it composts easier and works as a great dusting material as chicks get older. I never check my temps with a thermometer. I just watch the chicks as long as they aren't piled right on top of each other they are fine. They grow out much stronger and healthier if they have an area that is cooler for them to stay in. I keep my feed and water in the cool area after the first couple of days. This encourages faster and heavier feathering.

Good luck. Chicks really do not need the areas as hot as we tend to keep them. Watch a chick with a broody. They will run around for large amounts of time in cold and are perfectly happy as long as they can get under hen occasionally to warm up.

Silver Lace Orpingtons, Gold Lace Orpingtons, lavender Cuckoos, Chocolate Cuckoos, Red Cuckoos. Have any?
Clicking around online, Margitas poultry has some of the fancy orpingtons, including chocolate, lemon cuckoo, jubilee, silver laced and gold laced. By no means are they hatchery priced, but then again what you are looking for is not exactly commonplace. Anyhoo, FYI. Link below.

http://margitas-poultry.com/poultry

Thank you Washingtonwino.
I knew about her and several others. Would rather not pay 250. For a straight run Silver Lace. Guess I will not be getting Silver Lace for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know anything about anything but I can't figure out why gold laced is $50 and the silver is $250. Are they more rare? I'll take a silver laced Wyandotte any day, Thankyouverymuch. Good luck with the hunt, maybe as backyard chickens catch on the supply and variety of available chickens will increase.

In other news, I have tracking info! Refresh refresh refresh....

Back
Top Bottom