Chicks arriving in 2 weeks! (Update: Finally here!)

Mine are so scared of me. They all JUMP when I move lol I have done nothing but stare at them from a corner. I guess that comes across as creepy... lol
Creepy stalker chicken watcher.
hide.gif
gig.gif

I've got a few butts that aren't pasty per se, but aren't totally clean either. I'm assuming when in doubt, clean the butt?

Everyone perked up and quieted down and are rummaging around happily. The little easter egger was the first one to figure out the watered and feeder, she's currently running rings around her flock mates for no particular reason. I think I have a hellion on my hands.

What do you do about poopy feet? Soak them in warm water to loosen then wipe...leave them alone? I change their paper towels 3 times a day, but 4 chicks poop a lot LOL.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Gosh I've lost 3 red leghorns... The first 2 were weak on arrival but the 3rd seemed fine until last night and died this afternoon. Nothing was wrong, no pasty butt even. The last one I have has the worst pasty bum and she seems okay otherwise so far.
hu.gif
I hope she does okay. I would like at least 1 white layer... I pulled out all my arsenal to stop her nasty butt. I am off tomorrow so she will get a little more attention then. Other than having problems with the Red Leghorns everyone else is good and driving me crazy already! No updated pics yet. I have very poor lighting for pictures in the. Hopefully will get more tomorrow!

Gosh I've lost 3 red leghorns... The first 2 were weak on arrival but the 3rd seemed fine until last night and died this afternoon. Nothing was wrong, no pasty butt even. The last one I have has the worst pasty bum and she seems okay otherwise so far.
hu.gif
I hope she does okay. I would like at least 1 white layer... I pulled out all my arsenal to stop her nasty butt. I am off tomorrow so she will get a little more attention then. Other than having problems with the Red Leghorns everyone else is good and driving me crazy already! No updated pics yet. I have very poor lighting for pictures in the. Hopefully will get more tomorrow!
Have you used a thermometer to check the temps in various parts of the brooder?
Some chick vitamins or other booster in the water might help for shipping stressed chicks.
The hatchery might refund you for chicks dying in the first couple days, contact them.

The chicks are kicking so much food out of their feeder! It is a galvanized/ mason jar chick feeder with the little holes but despite raising it a bit the chicks are jumping on and scratching out at least a cup of food each day, little terrors. Any tips to save some food?

I grind it before I put it in there, so their scratching doesn't seem to hold on to the powder as much. I don't see much waste yet. I also have a little egg carton with the original crumbles for them to scratch on. Once its on the ground they will not eat it lol I do have some waste, but not as much as I expected and saw when I was feeding the sick bantam in there. That bird wasted so much food! It would fall through the mesh lol

Back
Top Bottom