Chicks Arriving Soon + Adopting a Hen = Possible?

TexasChicky

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2016
Hello, new here. :) My 6 chicks are arriving in the next 7-10 days, a mixture of LF and bantams. I also have the opportunity to adopt a Silkie around the same time (or even a bit sooner). Am I able to house them all at the same time in the coop? I plan to brood the chicks outdoors, as it's 100 degrees out right now.

Looking for tips on how to integrate all new parties into the same flock, one being much older...if it's even possible.

What are the dimensions of your coop and run? How warm does it get in your coop during the warmest part of the day? (that may be more of a problem than it being too cool for the chicks.) If your coop is plenty big, you might be able to section off a part of it for the chicks, and then let them mingle with supervision after the first week. Check out Azygous' panic room for integration. Also, do a thread search for "wool hen".

welcome-byc.gif

This is one of those things (like so much with animals
roll.png
) that's going to be try it and see how it works. You might get lucky with that Silkie and she's very maternal and takes right to the chicks. Or, maybe not especially maternal, but not outright hostile, and just co-exists with them. Or, worst case, she attacks them. Those are pretty much your scenarios. If you've got enough space for that many adult birds in the coop, it should be enough space for the littles and the larger hen. You'll just have to be available to monitor how things go and be ready to pull the adult hen out if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom