chicks beeing mean

dollychick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
Ok they are going on 2 weeks old now.
My RIR and the EE are acting like roosters
they are jumpimg up and hitting eachother breast to breast.
and just trying to jump on the others back.they have most of the wings feathered and
a few on the back. 2 have tail feathers. They are different in size like stairs steps.
I feed them by hand atleast once a day. Last night I let my grandson try it.
He laughed, and said ow, I know which one pecks the hardest.
when I open the creat they almost jump out.
And as for takeing them outside, I cant I have dogs and bad neighbors. I might get into troubleby haveing them.
I only have 4, we have a long yard maybe I can fix them a house and a run, condo style.
Please if you can give any helpful words I would greatly recive it..
thank you Darlene

Just normal chick play don't worry about it.
I think a small run out back would be great for them.

oh ok thank you.
I know the run would be great but I live in the city, and not sure I can have them here.
Its only 4 , and no rooster.
And Im to chicken to ask, no pun inted. lol

I would seriously check your city ordinances. Then you'll know how careful you'll need to be. It would be tough losing your babies.

My RIR was horrible as a young one. I had to hold her daily in my arms. When I moved her to the coop, she attacked me 3-4 times or so. Full blown attacks. I picked her up carried her around everywhere and would sit her on my lap petting her nicely. Eventually she grew up to be one of my sweetest girls. I also have an EE that's a bully! Another female. She's great with us, but hen pecks all the others. I need to buy a smaller wire dog kennel for her "jail" time. Right now we have a heater in the spot where it's going and I need to integrate 3 more chicks. I might use the brooder as her jail time. I keep her in for 3 days straight. It has worked in the past.

However, my hens are nowhere near quiet. My dark brahma squawks all day long even when free ranging. I can hear her pretty far away. She is also top hen. Their egg song is pretty loud too, so be careful!

They are most quiet outside free ranging. I have to supervise my free ranging due to the enormous number of hawks in my back yard! I see hawks every single day! Yesterday was hot, so the hawks were not out midday and my girls were out 3 hours!

The more you pick up and handle them now, the friendlier they will be. I make sure my kids handle them daily too. Although, this year is not as fun as last year.lol The newness of having chickens wore off for them and I'm doing all the handling, which I don't mind either.

My 8 hens in the coop are all lap chickens. I love it! They do fight, especially with my problem hen, which I need to address ASAP!

Good luck! It is best to have a run though! We built our coop inside our garage and put the run just outside our house. I'm very pleased how well it turned out!

Thank you so much. Im scared if I ask they might ask for my address, then they might come get them..
If I get to move I will be in the county, then no problem.
But If I cant move, then if I have trouble. what would happen? would they take then. Or give me time to get rid of them?
another question, If I raise them feeding them and giving them all, could the survive If I had to turn them lose?
I could still go feed them. Sorry Im just worried. Help?

Thank you so much. Im scared if I ask they might ask for my address, then they might come get them..
If I get to move I will be in the county, then no problem.
But If I cant move, then if I have trouble. what would happen? would they take then. Or give me time to get rid of them?
another question, If I raise them feeding them and giving them all, could the survive If I had to turn them lose?
I could still go feed them. Sorry Im just worried. Help?
They won't survive if you turn them lose. Something will kill them. Best think to do is find them a new home.Hopefully, it won't come to that. Good Luck!!

I agree, chickens don't fare well in the wild, I know they run loose in key west and alot of people consider them a nusance crowing early in am etc, and I'm sure the city wouldn't like you for that! If its not allowed for you they will give you some time for finding them a home and who wouldn't like free chickens....but if you can keep them you are best to build them a secure place were they can run and play. Sunshine and fresh air is good for all living things and I think they'd be better off outside!

I agree, chickens don't fare well in the wild, I know they run loose in key west and alot of people consider them a nusance crowing early in am etc, and I'm sure the city wouldn't like you for that! If its not allowed for you they will give you some time for finding them a home and who wouldn't like free chickens....but if you can keep them you are best to build them a secure place were they can run and play. Sunshine and fresh air is good for all living things and I think they'd be better off outside!
well you make it sound like Im miss treeting them because they are in the house. They are only 2 weeks old. They are happy, well fed and and plenty of water.
Mine will be hens, no roosters. And I do know where some are running free, several hens with a rooster.
Its still in the works for me to move, and then it will be no problem.. thank you anyway...

It takes a while for the pecking order to be established.

Don't worry, they will be fine. In 4-5 months you'll look back and miss these cute chick days. They don't last long. Plus, you'll be getting yummy eggs!

I keep mine in the house too, actually I have 2 that are 2 months or so, fully feathered. I'm waiting for my husband to take out our built in heater and carry the brooder inside our coop, so they are protected from the flock we bought last year.

We are adding 3 more hens due to running out of eggs just with our family. They will chest bump now and through their "teenage" stage. Its interesting to watch. I assure you that they will straighten out.

If you do decide they are too much, put an add on Craigslist to take the whole bunch. You don't want to sell one at a time and end up with a chick all alone, they will peep in distress. Good luck!

Chicks are fun. My little ones do not like the outside much. I have to hold my Faverolle chick outside, so she's not stressed.

It's very much worth the work we put into this for the eggs!

ok thats good to know, that they will settle down.
I have a RIR (RED) she pecks so hard and pinches me when she eats from my hand.
My EE (COOKIE) she is sweet and gets in my hand at times. If Red will let her.
My 2 Buffs (Goldie and Rose) kinda stay back and wait but the other 2 wont let them in.
But all that changed whenhe others.. the worms was up for grabs. Ths Buffs do calm down faster than the others.

Back
Top Bottom