1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks being fed cornmeal-help!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YoungChickenFan93, Mar 19, 2010.

1. YoungChickenFan93

YoungChickenFan93 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    The chicks in my class are being fed cornmeal and rolled oats. I thought that they should be fed chick starter feed...the secondary teacher said today that they are underweight and malnourished, but not enough that they look unhealthy. What can I do to help get some nourishment in them until i can go to TSC to get some chick starter feed. Is there anything else i can give them to help them get extra nourishment since they haven't been getting any? Please help me and my chicks!!

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

How long have they been on the crappy diet??

You could get some of that Poly vi Sol stuff (no iron) to add to their water (but I've never done it, just read about it many times on the emergency forum)

I've raised plenty of chicks on mixed starter and cornmeal, and given rolled oats for treats, but I also provide GRIT with the oats!!! Maybe you could sprinkle some sand on their food to help their digestion!!!!!!!!

3. YoungChickenFan93

YoungChickenFan93 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    They are about a week old, and have been fed that since they hatched

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    scrambled egg is a good protien source. I'm a bit worried about them not having any grit though since they're not on chick starter.

ETA: Ooops Tala already mentioned that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Give them some chopped up scrambled eggs for protein. They need starter ASAP!

6. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Add hard boiled or scrambled eggs--they have lots of nutrition until you get the chick stater.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Not only that, whatever teacher is responsible for the hatching needs to be guided to BYC for the proper way to raise chicks.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Not only that, whatever teacher is responsible for the hatching needs to be guided to BYC for the proper way to raise chicks.

[​IMG] Truer words...

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Some scrambled eggs and dark green leafy vegetables (about 4:1) finely chopped will do them well until they can get some starter. Chicks like rolled oats, plain corn meal is a bit finely ground for them to easily eat. The eggs, greens, oats, and meal together makes a pretty fair chick starter in itself.

.....Alan.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They must have grit or their crops will become impacted on a grain diet like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by