Chicks born in coop under hen

That depends on your coop setup, & also on where your broody is in her flock's pecking order.

How secure is your coop from predators, including snakes and rats? Both will attack and eat chicks, & leave very little trace. The chick's peeping will attract the attention of larger predators too, so the broody and chick living area needs to be Very secure. Also, chicks cant fly for the first week or so. Mom and babies will need a place on the ground where they can nest.

Your broody will also need to be able to defend her chicks from potentially aggressive flockmates. This is not usually a problem unless the broody is lowest in the pecking order. Even then, other hens will not Usually harm the chicks.

Many people make some simple coop modifications, then leave their broodies and chicks with the flock. There are advantages to that. I also used to leave broodys and chicks in with the main flock. After some unknown aggressive hens killed some chicks, i began bringing hatched chicks indoors to raise in a brooder. But that seemed really cruel to the broody hens, who spent days afterward forlornly searching for their chicks. After all, broody hens make a lot of sacrifices to hatch their eggs! My solution was to build separate, secure and safe broody/chick pens.

As @BirdsBeesTrees said, ithe decision is entirely up to you. I found a solution that works for Me, & keeps everyone content and safe.

Back
Top Bottom