chicks came today, with one smashed under the bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chkinut, Mar 1, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Songster

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, i got my girls in today! 14 chicks in all! (i'm only keeping 4 though):

7 RIR
    1 BJG
    2 SS
    2 Wel
    2 EE

i had originally ordered 3 EE....and when they came i was so excited and gave them all water and i counted them and i was one short! and there was no other chicks left in the box! then i picked up the bedding and lo and behold, there was my 3rd lil EE girl just as cold and dead as ever! and she looked so smooshed! so i'm guessing she crept under the bedding in order to hide or get warm. has anyone else experienced this? i felt so badly for her! that was one of the ones i was gonna keep too! they arrived very quickly though! shipped out Monday and got here Tuesday!

2. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Songster

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Oh my, I am sooo sorry. I have cried and will always cry when I lose babies.

3. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I have never had that happen before

4. onecent

onecent Songster

poor little baby!!! [​IMG] sorry you had to experience that, but yes im sure that happens occasionally.

5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  6. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] so sorry, [​IMG]

7. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Poor little chick! You'd think she would have peeped in protest when her siblings started sitting on her. [​IMG] I'm so sorry!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My brother had one arrive DOA...I've been lucky not to have that happen. She may not have been squished. She may have died early on (of almost anything) and then her body just trampled/worked its way underneath during the course of the shipping. Sorry about losing one though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: