Chicks Can't Get Out of Box to Eat/Drink

Alek

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
I have a broody hen that has been sitting on 4 eggs & so far she has hatched 3 of them but the chicks unfortunately are not able to get out of the nesting box to eat or drink. One chick has already fallen out of the box before but was not able to get back in by itself but I put it back in the box & the hen has made sure its stayed in there so far. I'd like to cut a side off but it's made of plastic & I don't want to ruin it & I have a cardboard box that I would like her to use since I could take a side off so they'd be able to walk out & get food & water but since the hen has 1 unhatched egg still I don't want to move her & the chicks & risk her abandoning the egg or the chicks but I also don't want to risk the other chicks starving or dehydrating.

Is there any way to bring the food to them? Such as putting in a hanging feeder, or a small water dish?
I brought food to them earlier & put it in there with them & although they didn't seem extremely hungry they were interested in what it was & the food the hen picked out for them & then I left it on a small table slightly taller than the box right next to it so she could bring them food but I can't get the water in there because it would spill onto the hay & create a big mess & possibly prevent the chicks from being able to keep warm properly.

Maybe a waterer with chicken nipples? Then you won't have spillage and mama can show the chicks, not sure if nipples are suitable for chicks though. Hopefully someone else has some better ideas.

Oh, what about a little ramp?

How old are these chicks? Chicks don't need to eat or drink for at least a couple 2 or 3 days after hatching.
Usually the hen will abandon the nest and any unhatched eggs by the time they need to.
Once she leaves the nest can they follow? If they can't get out of the box I'd boot her and the chicks then toss the egg before day 3.

Back
Top Bottom