Chicks crop

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
I have a hen that hatched out some chicks. They are 2 weeks old. I noticed tonight as she was putting them to bed that their crops appeared to be really pooching out. Is this normal? I noticed earlier today they looked very prominent. Is this cause for concern?
I am feeding them chick starter and I mix chick grit in with it about twice a week. I have given them hard boiled eggs about 4 times now and the rest the hen finds for them unless they get something left over from the older chickens which would only be bread or spaghetti or crackers.

I have a hen that hatched out some chicks. They are 2 weeks old. I noticed tonight as she was putting them to bed that their crops appeared to be really pooching out. Is this normal? I noticed earlier today they looked very prominent. Is this cause for concern?
I am feeding them chick starter and I mix chick grit in with it about twice a week. I have given them hard boiled eggs about 4 times now and the rest the hen finds for them unless they get something left over from the older chickens which would only be bread or spaghetti or crackers.
Full crops in chicks/chickens at roost time is very normal.
I would advise that you stop feeding pasta and bread to your chickens. It is not good for them. It has essentially no nutritional value and will dilute the proper nutrients from their chick starter.
It is also better to have a separate container of grit for the birds to eat what they need vs. mixing it with the feed.

I really mean no disrespect but if I stop feeding them these, which are treats for them, what can I give them? What would you recommend or do you recommend anything? I have tried many times veggies and greens and they will not eat them.

Their crops look like big marbles sticking up off their little chests. Maybe I should try to get a picture just to be sure?

Is this your first time with chicks? Their crops can be surprisingly full - to the point they displace feathers and down. The best bet if you're not sure what's normal is to check morning and night - empty in the morning and full at night - so anything deviating from this, like full in the morning would be when I would start raising alarm bells.

Also, healthier treat options would be greens\veg, millet sprays, chicken peck blocks, mealworms, black soldier fly larvae... stay away from carbs. A little bit here and there won't hurt, but don't make it a go-to treat. Mealworms are great for training too.

Well it's not my first but it is only my second time. My older ones are the same hen's spring batch of chicks. And I didn't remember noticing that about the spring batch so it kinda worried me but the way you describe it sounds like mine so that helps a lot. Thank you!

Well their little crops looked back to normal this morning so thank you all for putting up with my silliness and inexperience. I also put a separate dish out for the chick grit. They didn't pay any attention to it but I saw my older chickens eating it some. I never see them eating the regular grit I put out for the older ones. But now they want to eat the chicks grit....aaarrrrrrr! Chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom