chicks crowing at 6 weeks old??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepsncheeps, Oct 20, 2012.

1. peepsncheeps

peepsncheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    hello, i have 5 faverolle chicks and they are exactly 6 weeks and now on grower pellets. thing is 2 of them have no body feathers and all 5 are crowing! yes with a cheeeeAAAEEEP! in the morning. i cant beleave it has anyone else had these problems
    from tegan.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My welsummer rooster started crowing at 4 DAYS old. Then one of his sons came along and broke the record. Here he is at 1 DAY old:

3. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    hahahaha! how cute! oh, is that a brooder? how does it work?? i do wildcare of baby birds and have often thought about getting a brooder but thought it might be too big. can the tempriture be changed and such?

4. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    hello again still figuring out this tech

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's a Brinsea Ecoglow brooder. It replaces the heat lamp. It is a radiant heat (like a heating pad) and the chicks love it. Plus, no fire hazard - you can touch it with your hand. Temperature cannot be changed other than on or off, but it has 3 levels, so as the chicks grow, you raise the yellow platform up. If the chicks get hot, they just climb out from under it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    realy? thats great! ive been using a feather duster over a heat pad, but chicks like to be warm on top too.
    thanks im going to right the name down and get one. recently i lost a baby curlew chick. it was heat breaking because i stayed up all night with it.....no luck. the warmth and heart beat of its mum are just too hard to replicate.

my poor males will now have to be sold as i live in the suberbs and roosters are not aloud. i got a broody hen to sit on some eggs from a prize winning breeder. its a shame because no one wants roosters here in the Northern Territory. sigh, i might have to try selling them for $5 each. sssooooo cheap. and soooo sad i dont think i can do this again.

7. peepsncheeps

Sep 15, 2011
    just thinking would it be ok, in our hot climate? at the moment the build up is here and my gosh its awfull. the chooks are realy feeling the heat, aspecialy the faverolles

8. polskituft

polskituft Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    cute chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by