Chicks crying/sceaming at lights out - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jggrossm, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jggrossm

jggrossm In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Burlington, VT
    Hi all -

We have four chicks. About 6 weeks old now, I guess. We've started turning their light out at night and they go nuts, screaming and crying. Loudly! We'd like to leave them out in the coop overnight, but just don't know if they're ready. Will someone just tell me this is normal and they'll get over it?

Thanks,
    Joanna

2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Songster

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Yes, it's normal and they will get over it! [​IMG] You might try turning their light off while it's still light outside so that it will darken naturally. Mine seem to take that transition more easily than when I would just abruptly turn the light off. Good luck!

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All of mine did the same thing, I guess it's normal. Maybe it's because it's an instant lights out and not gradual like the sun setting [​IMG] The cry for about 5 minutes and go to sleep. I think they will be ok [​IMG]

4. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    mine are in an outside brooder in my screened room. i leave the light off during the day and tonight, i'm leaving it off for good. i just snuck out and checked on them and there's not even a peep. everyone is sound asleep (so far) i don't think they realize that the light isn't on yet though....

5. cposz

cposz Songster

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Our two 8-week old buffs are afraid of the dark, too.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I started turning the light off for about thirty minutes then turning it back on when they were very young. I did that for about three days and then let it darken naturally in there. ONLY if the weather is permitting and not a chilly night. [​IMG]

7. TripleH

TripleH In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I put a small wattage Red party light
    in my coop. Mine freaked out when I
    tried to get them to go in the coop without
    it. It's on a timer, seems to help.

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:Excellent advice above. None of my poultry will enter the coops if there is not a light on. After they are all in and I do a head count do I turn off the lights. I now keep a 25wt red bulb in with my 9 wk old turkeys and 8 wk chicks at night. It is too hot here now for heat lamps.

9. jggrossm

jggrossm In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    Burlington, VT
    thanks, all. Some great ideas, too, for next time around.

Cheers,
    Joanna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: