Chicks dead, heat exhaustion?

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
We have a pop-up tent for some out door time during the day. The 6 chicks (4 ish weeks old) are still in my brooder in my porch. We put the 6 out there around 11:30. My toddler has been sick so I didn't think anything of it. I went out at 5:30 and two chicks were dead. I'm assuming heat stroke. 2 were fine and 2 were lethargic and panting. I brought them in and put the 2 that looked rough in some cool water and gave them honey water. The one now looks fine, the other one is still kind of hunched up.
I feel awful about the 2 that died.
Is there anything more I can do for the hunched up one? She's keeping to herself and doing a lot of sleeping.
IMG_20220602_215447430.jpg

I wouldn't offer cool water, but rather room temperature water (risk of shocking the system with overly cool water). The honey is a a good call, might give them a nice boost. Beyond that, I think you are on the right track for helping these recover.

It looks like you aren't providing heat at this time by looking at the picture - this is a good call, I'm sure these birds will do well in whatever your house temperature is.

Also, while it is always a tragedy to lose a chick, you are doing very good by keeping your head through this and focusing on the survivors. Accidents happen and all we can do is move forward. Stay strong.

I wouldn't offer cool water, but rather room temperature water (risk of shocking the system with overly cool water). The honey is a a good call, might give them a nice boost. Beyond that, I think you are on the right track for helping these recover.

It looks like you aren't providing heat at this time by looking at the picture - this is a good call, I'm sure these birds will do well in whatever your house temperature is.

Also, while it is always a tragedy to lose a chick, you are doing very good by keeping your head through this and focusing on the survivors. Accidents happen and all we can do is move forward. Stay strong.
Thanks! I did remove their heat source about a week or so ago as no one was using it (heat plate).
I'm trying not to beat myself up as there is nothing I can do about the 2 dead ones now. My husband, however is pretty upset with me 😞 It was a series of unfortunate events. I had my 9 year old put them outside and I didn't think to make sure she added a shade cover 🤦
My toddler had me up all night the night before so I wasn't firing on all cylinders. He fell asleep on me after a bath around 3:30, otherwise I would have probably brought them in sooner 😞
Poor babies. I can't tell if it was the actual heat or in attempt to escape the heat, they were trampled. The 2 that died were wedged behind the cinder block their food and water were on.

Back
Top Bottom