Chicks Died After Hatching -- What Happened?

One more hatched out, and the other one is in the process. Hopefully, they live long enough to at least dry off! Really hope to get at least two out of the remaining 5, so they will have a buddy.

The humidity jumped up to 80-85% after the chick hatched. Is this O.K.?

The poor thing is already moving over to the side of the bator I am on when I make broody hen sounds. Hopefully, he gets a buddy.

Well, two more chicks hatched out, were up and moving around pretty well. Dried off mostly. Had to leave for a few hours. Came home, one was dead and the other was on its way to dying. They never even got out of the incubator. I am at a loss as to what happened to these chicks. They hatched out fully formed, no deformities, no unabsorbed yolk sacks and no blood. The eggs didn't have fluid in them, and the chicks didn't look like they had any edema. After this experience, I am afraid to try again, unless I can figure out what went wrong. It is really difficult to watch them hatch out, just to mysteriously end up dying.

Could it be something genetic in the father that he passed down? These were the first of his eggs to be incubated and hatched out. Could there be a disease my hens/rooster have that passed on to the eggs? These chicks died on the 21st day, so they weren't early or late. I have no other suggestions.

Is it possible it is some kind of disease or genetic disorder? I don't know of any that will consistently kill chicks after they hatch. There are some that will destroy your hatch rate and maybe deform the chicks, but it just doesn't sound like a disease. Your adults should show signs of illness too. I had considered that.

It's sounding more and more like poisoning to me. At that stage the chicks are not going to be eating or drinking much but they will peck and eat some. Is there anything in there they may be eating or drinking? Is your water contaminated? How fresh is the air in the room? Are fumes somehow getting in there and killing them? With the porous shell you'd think any fumes would kill them before they hatched though. Like other birds, chickens respiratory system is pretty delicate.

I'll go back to an earlier possibility. I know you said you drilled some extra holes for ventilation. Are you sure they are getting enough fresh air?

I'd take that chick out now and put it in the brooder, see if it recovers. To me it has to be something in that incubator or its location.

With your screen name I assume you are in the US. You might contact your county extension agent about a necropsy. I don't know how your state manages it, but in many states it's pretty inexpensive or even free for an expert to cut the chicken open and determine why it died. Your extension office should be able to give you details about that, if it is available, cost, and how to store the chick until you get it to them.

There is probably something pretty simple going on, I just don't know what it is.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I drilled three 3/8" holes in the plastic, one in the front, one in the back, and one on a side. I think that was adequate ventilation. Brand new incubator, so no other hatches took place in it (plus I wiped it down with a bleach water solution before using). Used distilled water from the store. Nothing else in there but the humidikit sensors and a separate hydrometer, plus any egg shells from the hatch. The incubator is set up in a bedroom with the a.c. running. It is humid here, may be some mold in the air, but my allergies aren't acting up, so I doubt it is real high.

I liked your idea about taking the chick to an extension office for a necropsy. I will try that. Thanks.

Oh, and I am thinking about trying out a new incubator, just in case. Can't have too many, right?

I feed Nutrena Nature Wise Layer Feed 16% Crumbles purchased from Tractor Supply, with 1-2 small handfuls of scratch thrown down into the shavings every day, plus any veggie scraps from the kitchen.

With this being a new incubator, maybe it was offgasing fumes that I can't smell?

I suspect nutrition as ONE possibility.

Do you know the protein level on the scratch? They are often around 8%. How many chickens is the couple hand fulls being shared between? Do you free range and do you have lots of bugs/worm or only a few? These kind of things can effect your protein level. It's recommended not more than 10% of daily intake be treats, which is what most scratch is. It's like a candy bar, high in energy (calories) but low in nutrients. Birds will eat to meet their energy/caloric need, not their nutrient need. Most veggies and especially lettuce are very low in protein as well. But shouldn't be a problem if kept in balance. Peas are high in protein.

The reason I talk about protein is because of the amino acids within. This paper shows that laying hens for breeding (not eating eggs) should be fed a higher protein feed... Also, I'm not sure if we talked about your breed already but the higher protein (than 16%) especially for heavier breed like Barred Rock or Orpington is recommended. (per the previous link I posted about feed). And I will quickly note that while I don't know if it's true, both link I provided support it, I use 20% protein feed with OS on the side also for the reason of hatching more viable chicks in addition to because I always have a mix of chicks/broody's/molter/cockerel so it meets everybody's needs plus most my hens are larger breeds.
http://articles.extension.org/pages/69065/feeding-chickens-for-egg-production

One thing I wonder though... :hmm IF eggs from higher protein feed have better nutrition for the chick to start off.. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would have better nutrients for US to? Just thinking dangerously out loud, so don't put any stock into it. :p

I also do ferment my feed. It saves me about 10% but drastically changed the way the poo smelled. :sick And it adds probiotics while increasing nutrient absorption. Check the link in my signature if ya want. Its as simple as add feed/water/stir/wait a few days and feed. :) Just sharing what has worked for me.

It's possible that bator is off gassing, but I would *think* others would have the same problem and already raised cane or reported it. And can you smell any bleach left over? That stuff seems pretty toxic.:he
Did your last babies make it? :fl :wee (cheering you on!)

Every chick that hatched out survived for a couple of hours, then died. Very sad.

I checked Tractor Supply today and all of their adult chicken feed was 16% protein. I decided to throw a handful of sunflower seeds into the shavings at night, instead of the scratch to see if that helps raise their protein (I have eight hens and a rooster). They were wormed last fall, but haven't done it yet this year. I use SafeGuard horse wormer. I will worm them again before I collect more hatching eggs. Checked them for mites or lice, and they are free from external parasites. Already sterilized the incubator with bleach water, then rinsed, as well as everything that was in it. They don't free range as I have too many predators, but they have a large run with plenty of access to dirt, bugs and sunshine. They don't get a lot of kitchen scraps, mostly the peelings from carrots or some leftover spinach. I guess that is all I can do. I would like to get a successful hatch from my eggs before buying eggs off ebay.

As a side, how long after worming do I have to wait to collect hatching eggs? Do you have to wait the 10 days like for human consumption, or sooner?

Back
Top Bottom