Chicks dieing

foothillsfiber

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
Arkansas
Got my chicks in friday, one arrived doa, and since then a total of 8 of 28 have gone lethargic and slowly died. The brooder temp stays around 90 amd they have room to move around. Fresh water once a day,available all the time and feed available all the time. Did they just get chilled in shipping. Suggestions

Sounds like you are doing everything right. So much depends on the vigor of the parent stock, of which you may not have had any knowledge or control. Sometimes chicks get stressed in shipping, as you suspect. Failure to thrive is not always the fault of you, the brooder, but more the result of breeding, shipping and the rest.

It is possible they got too cold, stressed, or other reasons. The remaining chicks have space to move to cooler temps if they get too hot? I would contact wherever you ordered them from and report any deaths. There is a lot that can go wrong with chicks, especially shipped ones. Sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

i bought 20 chicks about a week ago and now i only have 3 the just kept dieing about everyday until 2 days ago they would start with they couldnt walk alot and then the would just fall over and just breath..does anybody know why? is it a illness they get or what?

We have a very similar problem. We started with 42 and have lost 14. They are fine one day and the next they appear that they can not walk. their feet appear to almost crippled and the toes are all curled up. when that starts it is usually only a matter of hours until they die. The temp in the brooder is fine and they always have enough water and food. We just can not figure it out? Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom