Chicks dropping dead

MargieandMagic

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
I wanted to refresh my flock of true ameraucanas so I purchased 10 chicks (last Friday) from a “reputable” breeder.

On Monday (Yesterday) 4 of the chicks dropped dead (1 chick every couple hours) and as of today a fifth chick has just dropped dead.

I have NEVER had a mortality rate like this regardless of the breed or species of bird I’ve raised.

Also these chicks are very healthy looking. They are eating and drinking, clean and fluffy. They are very calm for chicks but my older ameraucanas come from calm breeding lines so that’s not unusual imo.
I follow strict biosecurity procedures bc I have lots of different types of farm animals and I’m terrified something could spread to my animals especially since there are NO signs of disease.

Does anyone know what this is? Or what I should do?

I have contacted the breeder and requested a full refund and that they must take bavk

Please describe the surroundings for these chicks? What is close by? Healthy chicks do not just drop dead and in the absence of symptoms I would wonder about fumes and toxic materials. Do you have mice problems? Please post a close-up picture of the remaining chicks.

I set the chicks up in my basement, it’s sealed and temp controlled plus a heat lamp. Absolutely nothing toxic down there, we don’t have natural gas and we use environmentally friendly cleaning products (all of which are upstairs). No signs of mice.

I ONLY handle chicks to clean their set up. Before I handle them I disinfect up to my elbows and then move the chicks to a sterilized plastic tub while I clean their set up. I do NOT let them touch my clothing or any surfaces.

While in their temp plastic tub they have food/water in sterilized feeder/waterers and can move to regulate their temperature.

During the day I check on them every 3-4 hours. More since they have been dropping dead! I never let their medicated chick crumble/fresh water run out. When I freshen each dish I always disinfect up to my elbows and I only handle their dishes. I sterilize the dishes then refill them with fresh medicated chick crumble and water.

I’ll upload pics of the chicks and their set up tonight.

I’m amazed the breeder is actually refunding my money and taking back the remaining chicks (4 currently). But it’s going to take 3 hours round trip so I gotta go!

Breeder suggested cocci but the remaining chicks body posture is normal. Not vulture like. Plus the chicks are on medicated feed.

Naturally occurring radon gas. Do you have a radon detector? My wife also tells me that (before we were married) toxic fumes (heated teflon) from the kitchen settled in her basement via the vents where her birds were being kept and some died.

Can you post a few pictures of your setup and what is the exact temperature under your heat lamp?

Pictures of your heat lamp also.

I’m amazed the breeder is actually refunding my money and taking back the remaining chicks (4 currently). But it’s going to take 3 hours round trip so I gotta go!

Breeder suggested cocci but the remaining chicks body posture is normal. Not vulture like. Plus the chicks are on medicated feed.

Most, if not all, poultry diseases have an incubation period before the disease actually becomes apparent so my first thought was that these chicks had been exposed before you bought them. But in the absence of symptoms and so may dying so fast...

This breeder is more than reputable. Many of us would not offer a refund or take chicks back as there is no way to know how they are taken care of once they leave us. In the event of disease, if I saw that the chicks had to have been infected before the sale, then I would do a refund.

Back
Top Bottom