Chicks dying a few days after hatch

Swpreciousfew

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
We had a power outage 2 weeks in to incubation.. I lost a lot of eggs and wasnt sure Id get anything to hatch. I ended up with 10 chicks. One died about 30 hours after hatch.. the other I just found tonight (so about 4 days after). They seemed to be healthy, no issues. Do you think the power outage/loss of temp caused issues with the guys that did hatch? So devastating!

Can you post pics of your brooder?
They have to be able to get out of the heat as well as into the heat.
What is your heat source for them?

What feed do you use for them?
Many chicks have a hard time with the larger crumbles. I crush the crumbles so they are very small like sand for the first 2 weeks.

How old is the feed? There is a mill date printed most often on the bottom sewn in seam.

Are they drinking well? Do you have some nutridrench available?

Any symptoms like being super sleepy?

Many chicks have a hard time with the larger crumbles. I crush the crumbles so they are very small like sand for the first 2 weeks.

How old is the feed? There is a mill date printed most often on the bottom sewn in seam.

If you read my other responses, this is my third hatch this year. The brooder is more then big enough for twice as many chicks as are in it. Its a heat lamp..room temp at one end (they are in the basement) and currently 90 at the lamp end. Feed is a new bag that my 4 week olds started on a week before these guys hatched. It is fresh and no mold. (And zero issues with the older group). Doing all the same things that Ive always done for all my other hatches, this is the first time Im losing chicks. The only difference being the loss of power during incubation.

Have not lost any others but one is acting a bit lethargic compared to the rest tonight. It was the last to hatch and it was 3 days late, so I wasnt holding high hopes for that specific chick anyway unfortunately.

Sorry i just realized this is a different thread... Some how I posted it twice.. so there is no follow up info on this one! Haha I had lots of replies on the raising chicks thread!

No worries.

I am thinking the power outage is unlikely the cause(s).

Sometimes they just don't make it. Such a shame that the outage shrunk your hatch so much.

We had a power outage 2 weeks in to incubation.. I lost a lot of eggs and wasnt sure Id get anything to hatch. I ended up with 10 chicks. One died about 30 hours after hatch.. the other I just found tonight (so about 4 days after). They seemed to be healthy, no issues. Do you think the power outage/loss of temp caused issues with the guys that did hatch? So devastating!
Sorry for your losses. :hugs The only way to know for sure would be to have them necropsied. What state do you live in?

Back
Top Bottom