Chicks dying during hatch

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
I've read everything I can find on this subject but it doesn't apply to my situation.

I have a broody hatching. She is a good proven broody and has hatched and raised chicks 2x.
She has had three chicks partially hatch. (Sorry no pics. I just can't touch my phone to take a pic while collecting bodies.) They still had shell clinging to them but were mostly out.

She has one egg left and she got off her nest long enough for me to see and collect the bodies. She sit all day the last two days so I assumed she was hatching and would have chicks by now.
Weather here is around 85f and very humid.
My hens have hatched more than two dozen from our backyard eggs in the past. They have a good diet, Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side. The egg shells are nice and hard. Yolks are orangy-yellow. The eggs set are from one to two year old hens. The rooster is 2 years.
Can anyone think of anything that might be wrong?

If the chicks still had egg shell stuck to them I would suspect humidity is playing a role. Likely it's too high. Not sure how you'd resolve tgat since it's weather related.

If the chicks still had egg shell stuck to them I would suspect humidity is playing a role. Likely it's too high. Not sure how you'd resolve tgat since it's weather related.
Thanks for the reply. I think it's only around 65% today but it was higher yesterday. I turned on the fan but I doubt that would help much. I have another hen sitting in the same coop. I'm hoping all goes well with her.

Back
Top Bottom