Chicks dying en masse, no symptoms!

The bigger ones are fit as fiddles. It's the wee ones I keep losing. :(

I put a second lamp in the brooder in case it was a matter of them being slightly chilled. Knock on wood, I haven't lost any more yet.

Any bullying going on? Bigger chicks keeping the smaller chicks from the food and water? 
no bullying, thank goodness. In fact, the older chicks have been showing (unintentionally, of course) how to use the nipple waterer and feeder. When the little ones see the big ones eating, they're more likely to eat.

Only one casualty last night. I am beginning to suspect that they were chilled--not enough to alert me by crying, but enough that they wouldn't leave the huddle to eat and drink. I will keep you all posted.

I would run a course of Corid through their water just to be safe. Bloody poops don't always show up with Coccidiosis.

1.5 teaspoons (no less!) of the 20% powder per gallon of water

OR

2 teaspoons of the 9.6% liquid per gallon.

Treat water for 5-7 days, then run some vitamins through the water to help them regain anything they may have lost.

You can get Corid at Tractor Supply or your local feed store.

Since they are showing no symptoms other than "death," I would bet on Cocci. It can be a silent killer, especially in babies.

I see in your photo that all the chicks are huddled under the light. Could you lower it a little to get it closer to them and see if that helps? I can't see, but is there a thermometer in the brooder?

Also, like Enola said, check their crops at night and in the morning. That is the best way to determine who is eating and who isn't.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

If I continue losing chicks now that I've raised the temp, I will treat for cocci. They're moving around more and not huddling so much, so I think I may have figured it out.

I've never had chicks who were cold and didn't speak up about it. Now I know.

If I continue losing chicks now that I've raised the temp, I will treat for cocci. They're moving around more and not huddling so much, so I think I may have figured it out.

I've never had chicks who were cold and didn't speak up about it. Now I know.
Healthy, warm chicks will spend most of the days eating, drinking and running around, and by the end of the day, their crops should be *huge*. Glad you were able to correct it before you lost too many more.

-Kathy

If I continue losing chicks now that I've raised the temp, I will treat for cocci.  They're moving around more and not huddling so much, so I think I may have figured it out.

I've never had chicks who were cold and didn't speak up about it.  Now I know.

Healthy, warm chicks will spend most of the days eating, drinking and running around, and by the end of the day, their crops should be *huge*. Glad you were able to correct it before you lost too many more.

-Kathy

yeah and under normal circumstances I would have noticed that...but I just got out of the hospital, and I'm basically bedridden until I'm recovered. So I don't get to watch the chicks as much as I normally would.

Back
Top Bottom