Chicks dying...Help!

sandymike

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
I am a newbie to chicken keeping and I have been reading and diligently researching chickens prior to getting my 6 buff orp. 4 weeks ago. They were all about 3 weeks old then. I put them in a brooder....with light....feeding them med. feed....when they feathered out they went in the coop with a little DE and wood shavings.....slowly each week loose a chick until I am down to 3 left. I feel so bad......I got them from a local breeder who only sells heritage chicks....Mine are all orp. Any ideas what could be wrong?

What kind of shavings are you using? A lot of wood shavings have very fragrant oils in them that can be incredibly detrimental to your chicks. Mostly cedar or cedar blends.

Thanks for your response. I am using the wood shavings the feed store recommended and sell for the chicks. They use them in their cages and have no problems. The chicks that died seem to make have a hoarse sound to their peeping. I got some VetRx and put it in the water ....to no avail ....I am stumped

Thanks for your response. I am using the wood shavings the feed store recommended and sell for the chicks. They use them in their cages and have no problems. The chicks that died seem to make have a hoarse sound to their peeping. I got some VetRx and put it in the water ....to no avail ....I am stumped
I am sorry you are having to go through this................
hugs.gif

Is there blood in the stool?????cocci is common for chicks.
Do you feel comfortable calling the breeder for help..........
Is there anyway they could be picking up anything moldy................
Good Luck...............

I am sorry you are having to go through this................
hugs.gif

Is there blood in the stool?????cocci is common for chicks.
Do you feel comfortable calling the breeder for help..........
Is there anyway they could be picking up anything moldy................
Oh, Are they piling up on each other to sleep???I lost a few from being smothered before I figured it out.
Good Luck...............

I would treat with Corid for coccidiosis asap. It's one of the most, if not most common things chicks this age will come down with. You won't always see bloody poop and being on medicated food will not prevent an outbreak. That's why the value of medicated feed is highly debated since chicks can and often do still come down with a case of cocci, I've had it happen myself.

Anyway, that's where I'd start at least and the sooner the better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom