Chick's dying, please help

squishychicky

Chirping
Oct 23, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I bought 6 hatching eggs to put under my broody, I've raised day olds before, both by hand and under a broody. They are now 2.5 weeks old. One died the first night. Another died this morning and now another looks lethargic. I think it's respiratory. We have had issues previously, but the chooks recovered. I am now reading that this stuff can stay active for years. Is there anything I can do to save the sick chick, or to help the remaining three survive?
The one that died this morning was obviously sick last night, but it was quick. Now today the little one is lethargic, and I picked it up to check and it has weeping eyes, is shaking it's head a lot and scratching.

I'm sorry about your chicks :hugs
Do you have photos?

Respiratory diseases like Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT can make flocks carriers for life. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Since you are in Australia - you likely need to see a vet for medications. Tylosin (Tylan) or Denagard (Tiamulin) can both be used to treat Mycoplasma. Hopefully your vet can make recommendations for you.

I would separate any chicks that are showing symptoms so you can care for them better. A weeping eye can be flushed with saline to help remove the gunk/pus, try to keep that cleared and your chick hydrated.

Check her closely for scabs, lice or mites as well.

While not a popular notion among backyard keepers, culling any sick birds can be a way to help control illness within a flock as well.

Thank you.

Yes, would need a vet, thankyou for recommendation, general vets have no chicken knowledge around here, people don't often bother taking chickens to the vet.

Sounds like i need to not add any more to the flock until the current flock is gone. Unfortunately i can't separate the sick chick, i have no facilities to hand and broody raise at the same time, so I guess I'll just have to hope the remaining chicks are resiliant.

So the little sick one pulled through! It's still a tiny one, now known as pipsqueak, but none of them look sick! I am trying to accept the fact that I can't add any more chickens for a really long time :(

So the little sick one pulled through! It's still a tiny one, now known as pipsqueak, but none of them look sick! I am trying to accept the fact that I can't add any more chickens for a really long time :(
I'm glad to hear that your chick is better.

A lot depends on your goals. If you are keeping a closed flock and you are not going to sell, trade, give away hatching eggs, chicks, adults, etc. then you could add to your flock, but you do risk newbies becoming sick.

Back
Top Bottom