Chicks Dying

bmaxim13

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
We got 3 bantams off of a local lady who had chicks on 2/26. One of them started getting pasty butt, I was cleaning her and she seemed to be doing better. Yesterday morning we went out and she had died. Today one of the other bantams who was running around fine last night, did not look good this morning, drooping wings, and this happened to the other one who had died. I thought she may be cold since I had switched over to a brooder heater plate (yesterday) instead of the heat lamp because I thought they may be getting too hot. Since she is smaller than the Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds I thought maybe she was not warm enough last night, so I plugged in the heat lamp and she went right under it. We went to the store for maybe an hour and when we came back she had died under the heat lamp with her eyes still open. I just switched the food to medicated feed and put probiotic packet in their water. We have one bantam left who is tiny and I am worried something will happen to her or the other chicks that we have. We got our other 5 from tractor supply and they are much bigger than the Bantams are/were so I am hoping they are okay. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!!!

Brooder is set up in the garage, we are in southeastern NC. Temps have been in the 80s during the day and last night dropped to 40s. Temps for the next week are in the 60s during the day and 40s at night. I did have the heat lamp on about 24 inches from the surface of the stock tank they are in. I switched over to the producers pride brooder plate yesterday afternoon. They have pine shavings on the floor. They were eating Naturena NatureWise Chick Starter Grower. I just switched to the Purina Start and Grow Medicated Chick Crumbles.

Last edited:
I can't help much, but I wanted to say I am sorry for your loses. I am having hard time with mine as well. I am going to revamp their space tonight (AGAIN) in hopes I don't lose anymore...

I consider myself a good owner, but these last chicks are proving me so wrong...😔😔
Thank you! I am not sure what is going on. I was very upset with the first one who died because I thought I was nursing her back to health but I guess not. The second one didn't seem sick at all until this morning the wings were drooping and then she was dead. I am hoping I can pin point it so that we don't lose them all.

Thank you! I am not sure what is going on. I was very upset with the first one who died because I thought I was nursing her back to health but I guess not. The second one didn't seem sick at all until this morning the wings were drooping and then she was dead. I am hoping I can pin point it so that we don't lose them all.
I really hope you can figure put what's going on. I fear my space may not be big enough!! I thought it would hold them for 3 wks. But I've had lots of smothering issues.

We got 3 bantams off of a local lady who had chicks on 2/26. One of them started getting pasty butt, I was cleaning her and she seemed to be doing better. Yesterday morning we went out and she had died. Today one of the other bantams who was running around fine last night, did not look good this morning, drooping wings, and this happened to the other one who had died. I thought she may be cold since I had switched over to a brooder heater plate (yesterday) instead of the heat lamp because I thought they may be getting too hot. Since she is smaller than the Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds I thought maybe she was not warm enough last night, so I plugged in the heat lamp and she went right under it. We went to the store for maybe an hour and when we came back she had died under the heat lamp with her eyes still open. I just switched the food to medicated feed and put probiotic packet in their water. We have one bantam left who is tiny and I am worried something will happen to her or the other chicks that we have. We got our other 5 from tractor supply and they are much bigger than the Bantams are/were so I am hoping they are okay. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!!!

Brooder is set up in the garage, we are in southeastern NC. Temps have been in the 80s during the day and last night dropped to 40s. Temps for the next week are in the 60s during the day and 40s at night. I did have the heat lamp on about 24 inches from the surface of the stock tank they are in. I switched over to the producers pride brooder plate yesterday afternoon. They have pine shavings on the floor. They were eating Naturena NatureWise Chick Starter Grower. I just switched to the Purina Start and Grow Medicated Chick Crumbles.
I'm very new at this myself, but I've listened to a lot a others raising chickens, and it certainly looks to me that there have been problems lately with any feed from Parina Pride. I'm planning to stay away from it. So sorry about your loss. It may have been a combination between the feed and the weather. In Texas, I want to keep my birds warm until all danger of even light frost is gone. I don't know if that's necessary, but that's what I'm going to do, since I'm inexperienced.

How are your chicks doing??
Mine are much better since they've gotten access to their entire coop and I bought a second heat board.

No more losses!! 🤞🤞🤞

How are your chicks doing??
Mine are much better since they've gotten access to their entire coop and I bought a second heat board.

No more losses!! 🤞🤞🤞
Im so glad yours are doing better!

I lost all three that were bought from the lady. But all 5 tractor supply chicks are doing great! I just introduced 4 more last night and now I have 2 black marans and one has a black foot and they keep pecking his foot and grabbing ahold of it. I've kept the lights off in the garage so that has helped. I tried to turn the lights on earlier and they started pecking her foot again.

Im so glad yours are doing better!

I lost all three that were bought from the lady. But all 5 tractor supply chicks are doing great! I just introduced 4 more last night and now I have 2 black marans and one has a black foot and they keep pecking his foot and grabbing ahold of it. I've kept the lights off in the garage so that has helped. I tried to turn the lights on earlier and they started pecking her foot again.
Hmmm that pecking can be an issue...I am not sure how to remedy that 🤔🤔

Back
Top Bottom