Chicks Dying

I can't help much, but I wanted to say I am sorry for your loses. I am having hard time with mine as well. I am going to revamp their space tonight (AGAIN) in hopes I don't lose anymore...

I consider myself a good owner, but these last chicks are proving me so wrong...😔😔
We got 3 bantams off of a local lady who had chicks on 2/26. One of them started getting pasty butt, I was cleaning her and she seemed to be doing better. Yesterday morning we went out and she had died. Today one of the other bantams who was running around fine last night, did not look good this morning, drooping wings, and this happened to the other one who had died. I thought she may be cold since I had switched over to a brooder heater plate (yesterday) instead of the heat lamp because I thought they may be getting too hot. Since she is smaller than the Easter Eggers and Rhode Island Reds I thought maybe she was not warm enough last night, so I plugged in the heat lamp and she went right under it. We went to the store for maybe an hour and when we came back she had died under the heat lamp with her eyes still open. I just switched the food to medicated feed and put probiotic packet in their water. We have one bantam left who is tiny and I am worried something will happen to her or the other chicks that we have. We got our other 5 from tractor supply and they are much bigger than the Bantams are/were so I am hoping they are okay. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!!!

Brooder is set up in the garage, we are in southeastern NC. Temps have been in the 80s during the day and last night dropped to 40s. Temps for the next week are in the 60s during the day and 40s at night. I did have the heat lamp on about 24 inches from the surface of the stock tank they are in. I switched over to the producers pride brooder plate yesterday afternoon. They have pine shavings on the floor. They were eating Naturena NatureWise Chick Starter Grower. I just switched to the Purina Start and Grow Medicated Chick Crumbles.
Bless your heart.... I'm so sorry you went through that..... I'm new also, and have a bathtub cardboard box in my spare bedroom with 6 new babies just 7 days old.... and I have a brooder plate and also got a red heat lamp and turned the radiator on to warm up the bedroom. Determined to keep them warm enough.... I think I stressed them out really bad as they were laying around lethargic all of a sudden- and then I noticed a dingleball on the butt of one of them. So in speaking to some incredible people on this form group... I discovered that the ambient around them should not be hot... so their entire space shouldn't be heated extra warm... just a space where they can be extra warm.... they have to have a place to get warm after going out in the "space" and playing and eating for a while - like when they run back to under the hen to get warmThen back under the brooder plate. which is why the brooder plate works so well. This was new thinking for me.... I immediately nixed the red heat lamp and turned off the radiator.. I imagine I had that bedroom cranked up to 85 with extra heat stuff for the chickens.... and I've been youtubing this new adventure for a year. (duh!) So we're all learning. I hope my experience helps you with your youngun's... Blessings to your endeavors...

Not to scare you but when you purchase to what you have, it's best to quarantine before adding together. In the even either batch has any issues.

You should contact the lady you purchased the bantams from, notify her that all 3 died and ask if she's had any issues with her flock. :hugs

I personally would NOT recommend putting bantams with regular sized chicks together. The bantams do get "trampled" or run over accidentally, sometimes get bullied from the feed/water. Rising chicks it's best to add more feeds than just one. You mentioned "pasty" butt which is either stress or temperature ... Prior to fermenting, I used to add ACV to the water of chicks which dealt with pasty butt. Clean off butts with warm water/QTip & dry.

As for you new Marans, they'll keep pecking due to the feathered feet/legs. Another of my won't mix breed stance, just my thinking. Check the foot, see if there's anything stuck to it that would call attention to it. You could spray this thing I've heard about "no peck", check with the feed store.

Since you're now purchasing from TSC and adding, no quarantine needed ... It's mainly when purchasing from breeder or private sellers. Also what breeds are you getting? Each breed has their own personalities, mixing docile and aggressive breeds maybe an issue down the road. I alway read up on the breeds that interest me & attempt to keep the same personalities in my flock, less issues to deal with .

Enjoy your flock .... There are MANY experienced and knowledgeable members here, all helpful. You will learn and gain personal experience like the rest of us

Bless your heart.... I'm so sorry you went through that..... I'm new also, and have a bathtub cardboard box in my spare bedroom with 6 new babies just 7 days old.... and I have a brooder plate and also got a red heat lamp and turned the radiator on to warm up the bedroom. Determined to keep them warm enough.... I think I stressed them out really bad as they were laying around lethargic all of a sudden- and then I noticed a dingleball on the butt of one of them. So in speaking to some incredible people on this form group... I discovered that the ambient around them should not be hot... so their entire space shouldn't be heated extra warm... just a space where they can be extra warm.... they have to have a place to get warm after going out in the "space" and playing and eating for a while - like when they run back to under the hen to get warmThen back under the brooder plate. which is why the brooder plate works so well. This was new thinking for me.... I immediately nixed the red heat lamp and turned off the radiator.. I imagine I had that bedroom cranked up to 85 with extra heat stuff for the chickens.... and I've been youtubing this new adventure for a year. (duh!) So we're all learning. I hope my experience helps you with your youngun's... Blessings to your endeavors...

We all start with heat lamps/lights as that's what we're told. Here in HI, it's basically warm so I never used a heat lamp (a friend does still) but used an incandescent (40 - 60watt) bulb with a lamp, worked great until I read about MHP years ago. @Blooie ... I find chicks are less stressed & calmer, sleep at night when it's dark (no constant light), less fidgeting and over all better adjusted. Heating pad cost alot less, just make sure it's NOT auto shut off.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-732-500-King-Heating-UltraHeatTechnology/dp/B000FGDDI0/ref=sr_1_5?

Im so glad yours are doing better!

I lost all three that were bought from the lady. But all 5 tractor supply chicks are doing great! I just introduced 4 more last night and now I have 2 black marans and one has a black foot and they keep pecking his foot and grabbing ahold of it. I've kept the lights off in the garage so that has helped. I tried to turn the lights on earlier and they started pecking her foot again.
You are the only person I've found that has the issue of baby chicks grabbing the toe or foot of other chicks. I have 1 of 8 doing it. Per the suggestion of someone, I have her in her own corner of the brooder. I tried putting one with her, and she goes for their toes and pulls, so I push her off. I did this three times in a row, and she started to seem to get it, but walk away for a few minutes and come back to see the same thing. I do not know what else to do as these are now 5-day-old chicks with one weirdo in the bunch!

Not to scare you but when you purchase to what you have, it's best to quarantine before adding together. In the even either batch has any issues.

You should contact the lady you purchased the bantams from, notify her that all 3 died and ask if she's had any issues with her flock. :hugs

I personally would NOT recommend putting bantams with regular sized chicks together. The bantams do get "trampled" or run over accidentally, sometimes get bullied from the feed/water. Rising chicks it's best to add more feeds than just one. You mentioned "pasty" butt which is either stress or temperature ... Prior to fermenting, I used to add ACV to the water of chicks which dealt with pasty butt. Clean off butts with warm water/QTip & dry.

As for you new Marans, they'll keep pecking due to the feathered feet/legs. Another of my won't mix breed stance, just my thinking. Check the foot, see if there's anything stuck to it that would call attention to it. You could spray this thing I've heard about "no peck", check with the feed store.

Since you're now purchasing from TSC and adding, no quarantine needed ... It's mainly when purchasing from breeder or private sellers. Also what breeds are you getting? Each breed has their own personalities, mixing docile and aggressive breeds maybe an issue down the road. I alway read up on the breeds that interest me & attempt to keep the same personalities in my flock, less issues to deal with .

Enjoy your flock .... There are MANY experienced and knowledgeable members here, all helpful. You will learn and gain personal experience like the rest of us
Thank you for your reply!! Everything has been going well so I haven't checked on here until tonight. I currently have 3 easter Eggers, 2 rhode island reds, 2 black marans, 1 comet and 1 americana. After introducing them with the big light off they have all been getting along and doing really well! However tonight I went out there and it sounds like one or two of them are sneezing or coughing or something weird. So I am going to do some research and see what is going on. I appreciate you and all the knowledge people! I had chickens growing up. My dad does egg chickens and meat chickens and it seemed so easy....I'm constantly looking things up and trying to figure things out haha.

What are you using for bedding, is it dusty? Change in weather (pollen) sometimes get them sneezing. Keep an eye out for discharge from their eyes/nose & noisy breathing.
I'm using pine shavings from TSC...but I did notice the one sneezing was digging down and trying to give itself a dust bath with the bedding yesterday. The pollen has been insane here! I will keep an eye out for discharge. Thank you again!!!

I'm using pine shavings from TSC...but I did notice the one sneezing was digging down and trying to give itself a dust bath with the bedding yesterday. The pollen has been insane here! I will keep an eye out for discharge. Thank you again!!!
Next time you go to TSC, pick up a couple bags of horse bedding pellets and try that. There is zero dust, zero smell, and next to nothing for upkeep. We've used that for many years. We change it out every spring. By that time, it's turned to about 80% sawdust and dried-up poop. We spread that in the garden and around trees, then lay a fresh 3" of pellets good for another year. We do no maintenance. There's no need to turn, refill, or anything.

Those "pellets" are great for wet coops too. Careful using the pellets, if they kick some up into the water, it will absorb the water. I tried using for brooder but I smell a "scent" but that was few years ago. TSC pine shaving come in two "flavors" fine & flakes, I find the find is "dustier" than the flakes.

Back
Top Bottom