chicks dying

I also get a pair of small, plant trimming shears, and carefully trim some of the fuzz from the vent area. It helps to stop the poop from sticking, that's if you haven't pulled most of the fluff off when you pull the poop. Your babies have pasty butt and it's easily fixed.

Thank you to all! I have changed the food, and I am in the process of cleaning their little behinds. I will let you know how it goes from here.

I used Nutrena Chick Starter when I raised my chicks and the label said it is medicated with Amprolium (?sp). I had a few problems with pasty butt but I gave vitamins in their water until they were about six weeks old.

To clean pasty butt I would use q-tips and keep dripping water on the poop until it softened and would gently rub it (chick is peeping in indignation all the while) until it would come off. Some of their little butts looked red and sore and I would put Vaseline or Aquaphor on them to heal. I raised 11 chicks and lost none so I must have done something right.

Good luck with the babies.

Mary

Make sure to check their bottom often. I had to clean some of mine 4-5 times a day. And one lasted about 2 weeks almost. If you don't keep it cleaned off you my have more die. Search pasty butt. Lots of advice. But the one thing that is the same in them all is to keep it cleaned off.

clap.gif
Hope that's the answer. Keep us posted and good luck with those little fuzzy butts.

Ok update. I cleaned 4 tushes and one, after I had her clean pooped and pooped and pooped. So I hope I got to her in time!

Glad the little one pooped and pooped and pooped. Poor little thing. I'm glad they are better.

Pasty butt can be caused by too much heat or too little food. Make sure the food is away from the heat lamp so they can eat without becoming overheated.

What is the temperature of the brooder on the floor? At the beginning the brooder temp should be 90 degrees and then lower it 5 degrees every week after that.

Back
Top Bottom