Chicks eating newspaper...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MontanaDolphin, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    I was told that I should wait until my babies are at least 3 weeks old before I use the pine bedding because they could ingest it, expand in their tiny tummies, and kill them. No problem. I just laid newspaper down, and change it daily.

Apparently, my chicks don't understand the concept that eating newspaper is bad for them. They are a week and a half old, and find the edges of the newspaper, pluck at it, rip it, and run. Then the game of "catch the chick with the food in it's beak" commences. They are shredding the newspaper and eating some of the pieces! Now, if wood is bad for their digestion, so is newspaper! Not only is it NOT "as nature intended", but it's got chemicals in it from the ink! What can I do???? What else can I use until they are old enough for the pine bedding??

[​IMG]

2. Charlieandlola

Charlieandlola Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    I put mine on pine bedding from day one, never had any blow up from it.
    What about chopped straw?

3. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Will the straw hurt them if they ingest it, do you know? I don't want to put anything in there that might hurt them. Sigh. I wish they would just eat what they are supposed to eat! I have to make sure I vacuum my carpet before I let them out to roam for a few minutes, cuz any speck of dirt on the carpet is eaten. Doesn't matter what it is...dirt, paper, string, hair...if it looks different than the carpet, it's fair game.

4. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    What about puppy training pads?

5. Charlieandlola

Charlieandlola Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2013
    The hatchery I buy from actually recommends wood shavings or ground corn cobs over anything else. If you put paper down, they recommend taking it away after 1-2 days to avoid splayed leg problems on the flat, slippery paper.

Straw mats easily and is a little more difficult to clean, which is why I think shavings are superior for raising baby chicks.

No, I don't think eating straw will hurt them. If they were with a mother hen, they'd be eating anything and everything they came across while under her care. I grew up with chickens and I never saw a hen keep her chicks away from straw, hay, grass, bugs. I did see many, many baby chicks pecking through those things. Remember, just because they are pecking at it, doesn't necessarily mean they are ingesting it.

6. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    You should never use newspaper. Always use thick pine shavings. Do not use cedar, the toxins will kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by