Chicks eating pine shavings

melissah1010

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
I have week old chicks in the brooder, they currently have about 1-2 inches of fine/dry/dust free pine shavings. They are scratching and pecking it and eating the very teeny tiny pieces. Is this okay? I have read a lot of conflicting Info. I sprinkled a bit of chick grit down, they are also eating their crumbles from the feeder. Should I cover the pine shavings with paper towels? Thanks!

I have week old chicks in the brooder, they currently have about 1-2 inches of fine/dry/dust free pine shavings. They are scratching and pecking it and eating the very teeny tiny pieces. Is this okay? I have read a lot of conflicting Info. I sprinkled a bit of chick grit down, they are also eating their crumbles from the feeder. Should I cover the pine shavings with paper towels? Thanks!
I use the course pine shavings so there are a lot less fines for them to peck at. The course shavings were reccomended to me for that reason. I see them once in a while eat a small piece still but so far there has been no losses.

If they are already a week old, and they have learned that chick starter is food, they should be fine.

Scratching in the bedding and eating tiny bits is normal behavior. It is only a problem if they eat large pieces that get stuck in their crop, or if they eat way too much and skip their normal food.

Last edited:
If they are already a week old, and they have learned that chck starter is food, they should be fine.

Scratching in the bedding and eating tiny bits is normal behavior. It is only a problem if they eat large pieces that get stuck in their crop, or if they eat way too much and skip their normal food.
Okay thanks, I was just nervous that they were eating too much.

Try to get large fresh shavings if you can. If the bales have set around a couple seasons they can crumble easier to fines that some new chicks may eat in excess. I experienced that once. I agree with NatJ, that at a week and they are eating their crumbles, all should be fine.

Try to get large fresh shavings if you can. If the bales have set around a couple seasons they can crumble easier to fines that some new chicks may eat in excess. I experienced that once. I agree with NatJ, that at a week and they are eating their crumbles, all should be fine.
I kept mine on an old towel the 1st week, they seemed to learn what the crumbles were and seemed to leave the shavings behind when scratching.

Back
Top Bottom