chicks eating wild mushroom

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by feeding frenzy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. feeding frenzy

feeding frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    I found my 2 chicks pecking the heck out of a wild white mushroom while free ranging yesterday. They lost interest in eating the mushroom after 2 minutes. I did not see adverse side effects from my chicks. Are wild mushrooms dangerous for chickens?

2. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    im sure certain ones might be but when i let my chickens or especially my turkeys free range they devour the mushrooms around my house. I live in a wooded area by a creek so it stays pretty wet back there and we get all sorts of odd looking mushrooms and the turkeys have sampled them all with no ill side effects.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I believe that chickens will not eat anything dangerous when they have free choice of what to eat. If foraging, they should not eat anything bad because they can pick and choose. Otherwise, nature would not have kept chickens around for long.

Chris

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I agree with that to a point, but chickens have been known to eat things like screws and light bulbs so... It's all about natural selection. The smart ones survive to breed and hopefully have smart babies and the dumb ones die.

As far as the mushrooms go, I wouldn't worry unless you notice them acting funny afterwards. Not really sure what you could do about it anyways. Chickens are awfully stubborn creatures. =P

5. feeding frenzy

feeding frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    screws?? That's crazy. I was watching my hens today. Seems Nanny loves to nibble on my jalapeno leaves. Spicy chicken and eggs? We'll see if she'll eat the jalapenos when they fruit

6. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG] Mine won't mess with peppers, but they looooove watermelon and beans and tomatoes off the vine. -_- We actually had some chicken scratch grains sprout in the garden, so after everything we didn't want them to eat died, we opened up the garden and let them clean up in there. You should have seen them jumping up 4-41/2 feet to get to the heads of grains! It was hilarious!

7. Turkeytruff

Turkeytruff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I read somewhere that birds don't taste 'hot'. [​IMG] So that story (can't remember if it came from a forum here) about someone sprinkling cayenne pepper below a bluebird's nest to stop a squirrel taking her eggs makes a lot of sense [​IMG]

8. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    it is true. Chickens don't have the taste receptors needed for spicy foods to effect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by