Chicks Feathering Out - Any Concern?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oktober, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Hello,

My 3 week old chicks are all growing rapidly and feathering out quite a bit. However, one of them (the RIR named Rhody) has her feathers coming in a bit strangely. Unlike the others, whos feathers all lay down smoothly against their bodies, Rhody's feathers are sticking out away from her body, giving a bit of a sickly, mangy look.

[​IMG]
    Rhody (right) and Checkers (Silver Laced Wyandotte)

I'm sure I can chalk this up to being a newbie and I'm probably worrying about nothing. However, I did want to post to get some confirmation from the more experienced chicken raisers out there. Is there anything to worry about with this strange feathering, or is it just part of the feathers coming in and it will rectify itself overtime?

Thanks!

-Okt

2. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    should be absolutely fine, mine did that

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

My baby turkeys do that alot. They lay back down in no time,.... unless you have a Frizzle.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Your chicks are entering their awkward adolescent phase and are going to look anything from comical to down-right ugly for the next month or so as they loose their baby fluff and gain their adult feathers. The feathers sometimes come in looking like porcupine quills and sometimes you'll see their bald, sickly looking skin right through the feathers and sometimes there will be sorry tufts of baby fluff left in odd places. Their necks and legs will get longer and for awhile they'll look more like velocoraptors than your fluffy balls of baby sweetness. One of mine is smooth and hen-like at 8 weeks but still has this silly afro of fluff on her head. If your chick is active and eating and otherwise healthy, I'm sure it is just at a different stage of this silliness than your other chicks.

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:Oh my! Those frizzle's are hysterical! There's one that reminds me of those Puli dogs with the mop-top/Rastafarian-looking dread-locks.[​IMG]

By the way, what part of Colorado?

7. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Thanks folks - I appreciate it!

-Okt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by