Chicks Feathering Out - Any Concern?

Oktober

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Rhode Island
Hello,

My 3 week old chicks are all growing rapidly and feathering out quite a bit. However, one of them (the RIR named Rhody) has her feathers coming in a bit strangely. Unlike the others, whos feathers all lay down smoothly against their bodies, Rhody's feathers are sticking out away from her body, giving a bit of a sickly, mangy look.

94942_rhody_photo.jpg

Rhody (right) and Checkers (Silver Laced Wyandotte)

I'm sure I can chalk this up to being a newbie and I'm probably worrying about nothing. However, I did want to post to get some confirmation from the more experienced chicken raisers out there. Is there anything to worry about with this strange feathering, or is it just part of the feathers coming in and it will rectify itself overtime?

Thanks!

-Okt

Your chicks are entering their awkward adolescent phase and are going to look anything from comical to down-right ugly for the next month or so as they loose their baby fluff and gain their adult feathers. The feathers sometimes come in looking like porcupine quills and sometimes you'll see their bald, sickly looking skin right through the feathers and sometimes there will be sorry tufts of baby fluff left in odd places. Their necks and legs will get longer and for awhile they'll look more like velocoraptors than your fluffy balls of baby sweetness. One of mine is smooth and hen-like at 8 weeks but still has this silly afro of fluff on her head. If your chick is active and eating and otherwise healthy, I'm sure it is just at a different stage of this silliness than your other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom