Chicks first day in grow-out pen

Joeschooks

Just clucking around
Feb 7, 2018
Hampshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday I moved my 9 chicks to their grow-out coop (with their premier heat plate). They are almost 6 weeks old. This morning I opened the pop door to let them explore the run.

They weren’t sure whether to brave it...
5A17CDB2-022A-4764-9B16-794CEB4228CB.png

So far 5 have explored. The others are still plucking up the courage (no pun intended).
261380D9-0607-495B-9ADF-A25907766B21.jpeg

CF115AD9-9215-4CAC-A19A-F164BDA5D28F.jpeg

Across the yard my big girls are interested what’s going on. Claudette, my Marans, is thinking “WTF!!? I see kids :barnie“...
75A5670E-775C-49A5-9F65-4110073B6925.jpeg

Expect the chicks to be cautious and to take it slow exploring uncharted territory. It's instinct. They know they're prey and small and vulnerable, even though the pen may be small and protected.

When my chicks get a shot at leaving the run for the first time and exploring the big wild world, they "dip a toe" and run right back. It's fun to watch them grow their courage.

I waited all morning and tempted them out with mealworms in the end :gigThe roosters are definitely the most courageous. It’s quite breezy today so they’re not staying out too long. I always worry they won’t find their way home but they have and are all inside now but free to come and go as they please until sundown :)

Pretty birds there. I love it when they first start exploring their new surroundings, curious about everything lol.
Thank you. I think Lavender Araucana (these are UK standard so have tails, no tufts) are such beautiful birds. These are the first lot I’ve hatched and I’m amazed at how quick they feather out. The little marans roosters are lagging behind in the feather department!

Yesterday I moved my 9 chicks to their grow-out coop (with their premier heat plate). They are almost 6 weeks old. This morning I opened the pop door to let them explore the run.

They weren’t sure whether to brave it...
View attachment 1288032

So far 5 have explored. The others are still plucking up the courage (no pun intended).
View attachment 1288038

View attachment 1288039
Across the yard my big girls are interested what’s going on. Claudette, my Marans, is thinking “WTF!!? I see kids :barnie“...
View attachment 1288041

Claudette is a beauty. Thanks for sharing this. My chicks are a couple of weeks younger, so I am eager ti read about slightly older chicks.

Back
Top Bottom