Chicks first time outside!

Carlyb22

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
South Carolina USA
The chicks had a blast going outside for the first time today! They were only out for 10 minutes but loved pecking the grass and trying chick grit for the first time. And one of my Polish hens were very interested in them😂

They are about a week and a half old. I got them from tractor supply april 7th and assume they were 2-3 days old.
7EAA5A41-7FC5-4470-B9D5-A0F4C82A52A5.jpeg
434A4A04-7F94-44CC-B4DC-9F84D06E6022.jpeg

Put out something that can provide some deep shade and they can stay out longer even if it's hot out. Like a cardboard box open on both ends and weighed down with a brick would be fine.
They can walk right through the bars of the pen right now so I’m having to sit with them and herd them😅 I have a bigger shaded pen for them to spend longer outside I’m just waiting until they are a bit bigger and I’m sure they can’t squeeze their way out and get lost!

They can walk right through the bars of the pen right now so I’m having to sit with them and herd them😅 I have a bigger shaded pen for them to spend longer outside I’m just waiting until they are a bit bigger and I’m sure they can’t squeeze their way out and get lost!
Ahh... yeah that's a problem. Most of mine can still squeeze through chain link without an issue, which is currently beneficial in letting them get away from the hens, but it does mean that I need to check every so often that one doesn't manage to fly up and pop right out of the run.

Back
Top Bottom