Chicks for a broody mama

Lyndzie

Songster
Jul 31, 2020
Indianapolis, IN USA
I’m ordering a couple chicks for my little broody Cochin to raise. They will be shipped to my local chicken store, and I will pick them up the day they arrive. Is there anything special I need to know? I am not concerned about the broody accepting them, she’d raise a gold ball if it chirped. My concern is the chicks, and making sure they attach to mama. Any suggestions for a smooth transition?

Please don't introduce them at night. You can end up with dead chicks that way. The best way I have found is to set them in front of her, one by one so she can take them herself. This way you know for sure that she wants them and won't hurt or kill them. You won't have to worry about the chicks imprinting on her. They will happily accept their new mama. Best of luck!

Please don't introduce them at night. You can end up with dead chicks that way. The best way I have found is to set them in front of her, one by one so she can take them herself. This way you know for sure that she wants them and won't hurt or kill them. You won't have to worry about the chicks imprinting on her. They will happily accept their new mama. Best of luck!
Thank you! That was my concern. I’m excited for her. Thanks was planning on giving them to her during the day so we can keep tabs on the situation, but I do not foresee anything but little broody happiness.

Chicks arrived today! Our local chicken shop is the best, she called me as soon as they arrived. I ended up with one Cuckoo Maran and one Lakeshore Egger (Meyer Hatchery). I had ordered just one chick, but was worried about how she’d do after my broody was done raising her, since she’d be the only chicken that little, so I got her a friend. They are named Cloud and Zoey.

So, the introduction did not go off exactly how I had envisioned, but it all worked out in the end. I had read to show the hen the chick, and have her take it, but my broody puffed up extra large and pecked the chick.

Then, I improvised and tucked them under her rear, and kept an eye on the situation. The chicks were nice and warm and snoozed for a bit, then at some point the hen realized that she had chicks under her tail and now loves them. I don’t really recommend that method, but it worked today. The things going in my favor is the hen has hatched eggs before and co-parented, so I did have a reasonable expectation that she would adopt them. She did not move all day, no bathroom break or food break at all. I have removed her fake eggs, so hopefully she will get up and about a bit tomorrow. Chick feed and water is in the coop.

The chicks have definitely figured out that mom is this nice warm soft fluffy thing. Hopefully the flock dynamics all work out - our 4 month old cockerel found his voice and crowed for the first time today, and spent spent a good portion of the afternoon unsuccessfully trying to mount all the brown hens. Always something going on!

This is Cloud tucked under mama’s wing.

8EEDAC0A-1104-48F9-BB3B-443D9A7CA85A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom