Chicks FREAKING OUT at being in coop for the first time

mshirk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Sammamish WA
I thought I would be worried, but had no idea the CHICKS were going to freak out this badly.

My 3 BO's been in the all in one coop / run for a week all day, in the garage at night with no light. I've put them in the coop part for 15 minutes at a time during the day, without a big deal. Tonight at dark I gathered them easily for their first night out, put them in, closed the door, and then listened to the FREAK OUT. Lunging, body slamming, horrible terrified noises and peeps, scratching, clawing trying to get out.

I had no clue this could happen. I went out several times over 20 minutes, peeked in a crack from the nestbox area to make sure none of them were injured / knocked the water over. They were still doing it. I couldn't listen anymore and came in the house.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Bring them back in & put them in the brooder. Don't put them in the coop after it is already dark. Let them out there all day and then about an hour before dusk, shoo them into the coop & see how they do. Do you have a light on in there? Chickens have bad eyesight in the dark. They probably are terrified because they can't find their perch.

Yes, definitely put them in when it's light enough for them to recognize where they are and get settled for the night before it's too dark to see. Also, expect some "coop-up drama". My girls had to have a freak out, slamboree every night when they got in the coop and weren't ready for bed... I had to do other chores during that time to avoid having a break down
hmm.png

I put my 2 babies, 5 week light brahmas, and my newer 9 week old Black Jersey Giant pullets, all out tonight. I was out in the yard with all my run supplies cleaning up things and had them all out with me running around and playing. The Jersey Girls stuck together and had a good time, the Brahma Babes stuck together and stuck closer to me. I'm assuming since I raised them from itty babies. They had no pecking or fighting between them. I put them all in the coop through the little door near sunset so I could go inside. The babes seemed to be scared of the coop and I felt horrible but they really needed to go out tonight. I put them up on the roost closest to the edge so they could easily get off since the big girls could get up by flapping and jumping from the ramp inside. They settled down into it but cheeped and cried looking out the little window at me I feel like crying. I might go back out for them. It's been like 3 hours. I know they are physically safe. I know the other girls aren't going to hurt them either. They are very mellow and more intimidated by other chickens than they do to them. The Jersey Girls were fine. They were backed into a corner for a bit while I got the Babes settled in and a bit weirded out after their long day of travel and handling by strangers. They came to the food after I closed it up and enjoyed dinner just fine. I might go get my babies. .... It's warm tonight and it's warm in the coop without a light. They are just scared.

i put mine out for their first night several days ago... they lasted maybe an hour and have been back in the house since. Those poor little cries! lol. I know how that is. They are much happier being inside with me and since i'm in a city (which does allow chickens) i'm pretty sure them screaming all night would not go over well with the neighbors... They spend the day out in it but as soon as it starts getting dark they want back in the house, and they want in NOW!
somad.gif
LOL What can I say, they're my babies and they just wanna be with their momma.
hide.gif

When my chicks were about 5 weeks old i would put them out once a week when the sun came out. As you know here in Wa state that was not very much do to all of our craze weather this year. Last week when they were one day shy of 7 weeks out they went for good. they are doing just great. Good luck.

My wife and I will be doing the Smokey Point north bound rest stop the 25,26,and part of the day the 27th of April stop by and talk chicks if you like

Oh, DEAR.

I must put my chicks into their new coop at 5 weeks (they're 6 days today) because we'll be going away for 5 days and it will be much easier to ask someone else to take care of them. Also, I don't want to leave them in the house with the dog and two cats.

What about if I set their brooder up, open, in the coop, heat lamp and all? Has anyone tried that?

Chicken virgin here, and I had never heard of this problem before, although it make complete sense, of course...

Just thought I would tell you we will handing out coffee at the rest stop for our high scool not just hanging out

Back
Top Bottom