Chicks from Different Breeders?

wildflowerrun

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Hi all! I'm getting so excited about getting my chicks! I'm hoping to get them sometime in early April, just in time to grow up a bit inside before the county gives us formal permission ;)

My question is pretty simple. I'm getting four different breeds from the same breeder (all heritage breeds and I'm pretty excited). However, I found another local breeder who sells two other breeds that I really like. (I know, I know, I'm already succumbing to chicken math and obsession!)

Would it be alright to get a few extra chicks from this other breeder around the same time/same weekend and integrate the two? Or is this a giant disaster waiting to happen?

While I really like the other two breeds, ultimately, I just want the best for my future flock!

As long as their ages are similar (within less than a month) they should integrate together well. Sometimes disease can be spread from different flocks though. Something to watch for but not necessarily something to keep you from getting them. Some will say to keep them quarantined for a while but that may cause issues integrating the flocks later. It's your decision! I'd get the ones I want and keep an eye out for any problems.

We actually ended up getting the first batch of chicks earlier than we expected (with an extra 4 tossed in :)).

I'm still even waiting to see if she is selling the wheatens or blue wheatens as chicks.... If not, I may have to convince my bf to build me another coop for some pullets when the poultry swap happens in June :)

Thank you for your input! I'll keep looking around. I want them all to be happy and healthy--especially since I know that this first batch is as healthy as the guy can make them and certify them.

Has anyone else tried this or could weigh in? I found some olive eggers that I'm interested in. My first group of chicks is still going strong and looks healthy; they're two weeks old now! These were from a farm that I know 100% does all sorts of testing.

The olive eggers I'm looking to get is from another local breeder. I'm not so sure on testing but know that she runs a big event every summer and has animals tested for that--I would presume she tests other times of the year. She said they've never been on medication, are healthy, and have been secluded to a bathroom--so clearly away from her other birds.

What do you all think? Is it worth the risk?

Thanks for the input! I not have 5 (oops, not 4....) easter/olive eggers on the other side of my brooder box.

Here's to hoping they lay green eggs!

Thanks for the input! I not have 5 (oops, not 4....) easter/olive eggers on the other side of my brooder box.

Here's to hoping they lay green eggs!
I mixed home hatched chicks with hatchery/feed store chicks that were 10 days younger. I kept the younger ones up stairs in the living room for the first week for some extra bonding and until they were a bit stronger and more agile, then placed them down in the big brooder with hardware cloth between them and the big guys, (each group having their own light) for a few days, then removed the divider. They integrated very well. No more arguments between them than I'd expect if they'd been together since day 1.

Back
Top Bottom